The Student Room Group

mentally struggling with university

hi, i’m feeling very overwhelmed and anxious about uni this year. i am in second year and i am crying all the time and having sleepless nights.
i have all my classes online for the entire year and i have not been to one in person class - i’m also paying thousands for a house i’ve never stepped foot in.

my uni classes are mostly pre recorded and i have little to no opportunity to ask questions.

i feel depressed all of the time. i really want to complete my degree but i can’t help but think i would be doing much better if classes were in person and the stress of covid wasn’t a thing.

i feel so out of the loop and stupid. i feel hopeless. it’s really affecting my mental health. i have so many things due and i can’t keep on top of it all.

Is there any way i can repeat a year and hope the classes are in person next year?

does anyone have any experiences with this?
If things are feeling overwhelming please know that it really is understandable and it’s great that you’ve made the first step of reaching out to others!

Even anonymous post on to an online forum is a good first step!

My advise is to contact your tutor, contact a course admin, and contact a GP. You might find the first person is the most helpful, you might find the first two rubbish and it ends up the 3rd person who helps the most. Please don’t be disheartened if the fist person doesn’t seem to get the ball rolling very quickly! A variety of people can help in small different ways! (It’s part of the reason there are lots of conflicting options for support, sometimes some people are just more affective than others!)

Speak to your tutor about the course. They could get the ball rolling on swapping some of your grade options. (Eg two graded essays for a module become just one needed- plus lots of different options)

If you want to defer to next year, that’s also totally possible, student finance will support this as the ‘extra year’ of funding. Or if you have used your ‘extra year’ you can apply for another (this needs a reason which is generally just medical evidence, so it’s good to contact your GP soon so the evidence is already in place, and you’re can show you’re activity looking for support)

I imagine things will be a little slower than normal this year because people will be working remotely and more people seeking support but the earlier you get in touch, then the earlier the ‘start date’ of when you asked for help - regardless of how long it took the uni (or others) to arrange the support.

(Also students union, uni counselling service, uni disability support are all options!)

Good luck! (Here if you need to ask any Q’s!)
Reply 2
thank you so much :smile:
Take interruption year. Im on it now and its helped a lot.
Reply 4
what’s an interruption year? i’m in second year atm do i redo second year in september? do i get finance for this?
Original post by Anonymous
what’s an interruption year? i’m in second year atm do i redo second year in september? do i get finance for this?

Yes and yes. Have a Google they have all the info online. You don't get finance during your year off obviously as your not a student but you get finance to re do the year in September.
Hi. University isn't the most important thing in your life! Calm down. My own observation - when you don't care too much things are going better)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending