The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

3rd year history student at bristol- ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I was planning to live in private accommodation for the first year (for psychology), but online courses prompted me to strongly consider living at home next year. The reason I think I should stay at home is the obvious saving money aspect but my worry is that living at home for the first year will make it harder for me socially. If I could get some advice from your 2020/2021 studies that would be grand. Also, what should/can I do to maximise my chances of staying socially active? Thanks.

Hey, I think honestly it depends on how far away from the uni your home is. If you're not in halls a good bet might be to try and get involved with societies and activities at the SU, some of these run till quite late in the evenings or everyone goes to the pub afterwards. If you think you'd be able to travel back after attending these clubs I'd definitely recommend trying them out!
Living in halls is definitely the easiest way to meet people, but its by no means the only way- especially if the covid restrictions are eased!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Kebristol1
Hey, I think honestly it depends on how far away from the uni your home is. If you're not in halls a good bet might be to try and get involved with societies and activities at the SU, some of these run till quite late in the evenings or everyone goes to the pub afterwards. If you think you'd be able to travel back after attending these clubs I'd definitely recommend trying them out!
Living in halls is definitely the easiest way to meet people, but its by no means the only way- especially if the covid restrictions are eased!

Thank you for your reply! I'm in LA (very far from uni :frown:) so I'm hoping to finalise the plan after hearing the updates from both gov and uni. I heard that the uni emailed today saying that they imagine courses will be in person and telling everyone that they should be in the city so that they can attend classes. Are most students in Bristol vaccinated at the moment? I'm still on the waiting list here so maybe it's easier to get a shot after I arrive in Bristol.
I might need to wait for the final updates (restrictions in 2021/2022) but can you tell me more about how was blended (or online) learning like in Bristol? Thanks!
Thank you for your reply! I'm in LA (very far from uni :frown:) so I'm hoping to finalise the plan after hearing the updates from both gov and uni. I heard that the uni emailed today saying that they imagine courses will be in person and telling everyone that they should be in the city so that they can attend classes. Are most students in Bristol vaccinated at the moment? I'm still on the waiting list here so maybe it's easier to get a shot after I arrive in Bristol.
I might need to wait for the final updates (restrictions in 2021/2022) but can you tell me more about how was blended (or online) learning like in Bristol? Thanks!

in england at the moment only people over 25 have been vaccinated so far, but by September i think some 18 year olds would be vaccinated
Reply 23

oh very far then! I didn't realise haha. The uni did email at the end of the week saying that they want everyone to be in the city next year- they didnt say that everything would be in person, but it sounds like a lot more will be than this year thankfully.
Bristol uni has its own health service and a surprising number of people were offered vaccinations really early, i think it might be because that surgery only treats young people or maybe there were just more vaccinations in this area, but most of my friends have had at least one dose by now! It didn't happen at other unis so Bristol was a bit of an anomaly... but we weren't complaining :wink:
Blended learning was surprisingly ok. I really missed having seminars, and I wouldn't say I preferred it to in-person teaching, but I found that I could always access everything I needed and my tutors were all really helpful... which I suppose is the best I could've hoped for! I actually reallly liked the online lectures because it was nice to be able to listen to the recordings at another time if you weren't free for the lecture slot. It was my final year though so I didn't actually have many contact hours at all- I imagine psychology has much more but I don't know anyone on that course unfortunately!
Hey everyone,

I'm in my final year at Bristol, and I remember having lots of questions about the uni when I was applying and getting ready for first year so i thought I'd make a thread so that if anyone has any questions i can try and answer them!

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about bristol now that im in my last term :s-smilie: so I'm very happy to go on about it and answer questions if anyone has any!

Have you had anything to do with professor emeritus William Doyle?
Reply 25
Never heard of him I’m afraid 😂
Never heard of him I’m afraid 😂

Tut tut! 😆

He's a former professor in your department, now a research fellow. He was also my personal tutor at York.
oh very far then! I didn't realise haha. The uni did email at the end of the week saying that they want everyone to be in the city next year- they didnt say that everything would be in person, but it sounds like a lot more will be than this year thankfully.
Bristol uni has its own health service and a surprising number of people were offered vaccinations really early, i think it might be because that surgery only treats young people or maybe there were just more vaccinations in this area, but most of my friends have had at least one dose by now! It didn't happen at other unis so Bristol was a bit of an anomaly... but we weren't complaining :wink:
Blended learning was surprisingly ok. I really missed having seminars, and I wouldn't say I preferred it to in-person teaching, but I found that I could always access everything I needed and my tutors were all really helpful... which I suppose is the best I could've hoped for! I actually reallly liked the online lectures because it was nice to be able to listen to the recordings at another time if you weren't free for the lecture slot. It was my final year though so I didn't actually have many contact hours at all- I imagine psychology has much more but I don't know anyone on that course unfortunately!

Thanks for your reply! I'll keep an eye out for new announcements as current lockdown restrictions has been put back to July.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending