Turn on thread page Beta

The so called 'Pooling' systems at Oxbridge watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here have any ideas on the differences that exist between the Oxford and Cambridge pools?

I heard in Oxford the pool is known as an 'Open Offer' where they definately guarantee you a place but not a college and this will be decided when you get your results in Summer. Is this true or is there some other pool that is similar to Cambridge's one?

Everyone that I speak to seems to think that a 'pool' is the Cambridge style one where they can ask you back for interviews and stuff and can either be given an offer or be rejected. Does something similar exist in Oxford? :confused:

It's all a bit confusing between the pools and doesn't seem to make any sense.

Hope someone can clarify for me. as I havn't received my reply yet :mad: and I dunno wat to expect. I applied to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, if you haven't heard from Oxford I would ring up the college. Offers are supposed to reach you by around Christmas. Also College Offices should now be open after the break.

There isn't a pool system in Oxford like the one in Cambridge as interviews at second colleges are much more common, and are automatic in some subjects such as maths. So it's extremely unlikely that you will be called back for interview once more.

But contact the college first, because you shouldn't have had to wait this long to find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Firstly, if you haven't heard from Oxford I would ring up the college. Offers are supposed to reach you by around Christmas. Also College Offices should now be open after the break.

There isn't a pool system in Oxford like the one in Cambridge as interviews at second colleges are much more common, and are automatic in some subjects such as maths. So it's extremely unlikely that you will be called back for interview once more.

But contact the college first, because you shouldn't have had to wait this long to find out.
    I c dats y we got allocated colleges. Well I have rung them up yday and they said they sent it to me before xmas. Well i haven't received anything so theyre gonna send me another one. I hope I will receive them this time round. I just don't know anyone that is caught up in this situation.

EichE, did you apply to Oxbridge? and if yes, which colleges and for which course?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford pool in the sense that you might be seen by another college if you are good but not good enough for that college. however oxford interviews tend to last 2 or 3 days and sot here is time for them to send you to another college once you have left. however it is not unheard of iwth a friend of mine being interviewed by 2 colleges while he was there and then having to attend on one or possibly two more occasions before finally getting a place.
    they also do offer places with no guarentee of a certain college in certain science based subejcts. basically they wait until the results are out and then allocate you to a college. i dont know the reason for this except that i think it might be for smallish subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    Oxford pool in the sense that you might be seen by another college if you are good but not good enough for that college. however oxford interviews tend to last 2 or 3 days and sot here is time for them to send you to another college once you have left. however it is not unheard of iwth a friend of mine being interviewed by 2 colleges while he was there and then having to attend on one or possibly two more occasions before finally getting a place.
    they also do offer places with no guarentee of a certain college in certain science based subejcts. basically they wait until the results are out and then allocate you to a college. i dont know the reason for this except that i think it might be for smallish subjects
    yeah i wasnt able to have further interviews because they did engineering interviews over the one day.

ReputationRep:
    open offers are to stop them having to go into clearing, i think

ReputationRep:
    I got called for a second interview at St. Peter's after Trinity. I was applying for physics and philosophy, and at St. Peter's they only gave me a physics interview (unlike at Trinity, where I got maths, physics and philosophy).

The tutor (he seemed like a really nice guy, and it turned out he had actually taught my current physics teacher!) said that if I was to be considered for physics and philosophy at St. Peter's, I would have to have a philosophy interview there and he would phone me up at Trinity if he could arrange one. Later that evening I got a call from the porter's lodge with a message from him saying there was "no need" for me to come for the interview. I'm not sure what to make of that. Did they decide that I wasn't good enough? Was he just unable to arrange one? Did they consult the Trinity philosophy interviewer?

Later, I got a rejection letter from Trinity, which said that I might receive offers from other colleges, but it was unlikely. I don't know whether this counts as being pooled or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosh3)
    I got called for a second interview at St. Peter's after Trinity. I was applying for physics and philosophy, and at St. Peter's they only gave me a physics interview (unlike at Trinity, where I got maths, physics and philosophy).

The tutor (he seemed like a really nice guy, and it turned out he had actually taught my current physics teacher!) said that if I was to be considered for physics and philosophy at St. Peter's, I would have to have a philosophy interview there and he would phone me up at Trinity if he could arrange one. Later that evening I got a call from the porter's lodge with a message from him saying there was "no need" for me to come for the interview. I'm not sure what to make of that. Did they decide that I wasn't good enough? Was he just unable to arrange one? Did they consult the Trinity philosophy interviewer?

Later, I got a rejection letter from Trinity, which said that I might receive offers from other colleges, but it was unlikely. I don't know whether this counts as being pooled or not.
    Did they actaully state the words 'but it was unlikely' in the letter? cos as I know, if other colleges are able to give you offers, then they usually state it as an open offer where the university guarantees you a offer but they don't know which college. They will let you know when you get your results in summer. But this is guranteed. I don't think the 'but it was unlikely' but measn that it is guranteed. It could be a pool then but this what I wasn't sure about before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve8052)
    Did they actaully state the words 'but it was unlikely' in the letter? cos as I know, if other colleges are able to give you offers, then they usually state it as an open offer where the university guarantees you a offer but they don't know which college. They will let you know when you get your results in summer. But this is guranteed. I don't think the 'but it was unlikely' but measn that it is guranteed. It could be a pool then but this what I wasn't sure about before.
    Open offers only happen in certain subjects. In others anothe college will pick you up almost immediately (sometimes before you get the rejection from your first choice!).

When your first choice college beleives you will get pooled elsewhere it ususally says something like

'We regret we are unable to offfer you a place but understand that another college iis likely to do so. If you have not heard anything further in 3 days please contact us.'

If they say that it is unlikely that you will receive an offer elsewhere, my guess is that you were offered into the pool but not picked out of it and that only if someone rejects their offer might there still be a place available - that is only a guess though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan)
    Open offers only happen in certain subjects. In others anothe college will pick you up almost immediately (sometimes before you get the rejection from your first choice!).

When your first choice college beleives you will get pooled elsewhere it ususally says something like

'We regret we are unable to offfer you a place but understand that another college iis likely to do so. If you have not heard anything further in 3 days please contact us.'

If they say that it is unlikely that you will receive an offer elsewhere, my guess is that you were offered into the pool but not picked out of it and that only if someone rejects their offer might there still be a place available - that is only a guess though!
    Very confusing issues, sometimes I think someone should actually clarify it from the University. Maybe they think we don't need to know. Who knows? It's all these possibilities that make the wait even harder.

Well, I'm not in the running anymore so at least I'm free from the misery! :rolleyes:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.