The Student Room Group

LockDown Gap year

I am going to uni in September however for the time being I am taking a gap year, so I am at home at the moment. Up until recently I have been revising for my two exams which I was going to retake (externally) but as no exams are happening, I am not revising anymore. Problem is I don't know what to do with my time, we are in lock down and its winter. Is anyone else in the same situation ?
Hi yes I am in a really similar situation. I took a gap year last year and then because of COVID took another, last year I decided to study another A-level externally this has been a bit odd as now I am not sure how I'll get the grade.

I can recommend doing an online course from places like future learn, these are especially good if you don't know what Uni course you would like to do as they range from 3 weeks to 8 weeks and depending on when you join you can do them quicker.

I would also recommend maybe trying some new hobbies, I took up embroidery you could try that or crochet or those diamond paintings.

I hope you find things to keep yourself entertained.
hey! i'm also on a gap year and finding it quite hard at the moment especially with my friends going back to uni and the majority of people i know on gap years currently travelling across places like costa rica or kenya. it just feels as if i'm waiting for summer to come around right now and i hate to think that i'm not making the most out of this year
Original post by a5ha
I am going to uni in September however for the time being I am taking a gap year, so I am at home at the moment. Up until recently I have been revising for my two exams which I was going to retake (externally) but as no exams are happening, I am not revising anymore. Problem is I don't know what to do with my time, we are in lock down and its winter. Is anyone else in the same situation ?

i am also in my gap year. i am guessing you are a student from the 2020 exam cancellations? can i ask you weather if you have got an offer already, if so what for.?
i applied but haven't go an offer yet.
also i suggest you keep revising just in case.
Reply 4
same, took a gap year so i could resit and ended up w an A* from autumn exams and was on the fence about retaking 2021 summer but seeing how everythings uncertain atm idk.

i have an unconditional offer w my current grades but rn im doing nothing. all of my friends went uni and im in tier 4 and i dont have a job atm so im sorta just waiting til september. ive applied to loads of places but everythings so competitive rn so ig im just biding my time.

also ive been trying to get my drivers license but its taking the longest time since corona stuff so this gap year is looking super unproductive rn but it is what it is ig
Reply 5
Original post by eleanor1305
If you have your place then I wouldn’t bother with the stress of retaking the others unless you particularly want to do them. Where’s your offer for? And what are you gonna study? I’ve heard trying to get driving test slots atm is crazy! I’ve already got my license but one of my friends had her test postponed three times already

exeter uni for law (which is sorta why im debating on retaking bc overall i have A*BB but laws competitive and i wanna do a sandwich course and ik that the cutoff alevel grades for firms offering work placements are typically ABB and im barely above that but idk).

ive been trying to book my theory test since 2020 may but ive rebooked it twice already but im hoping ive got my licence before i go uni
Reply 6
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
i am also in my gap year. i am guessing you are a student from the 2020 exam cancellations? can i ask you weather if you have got an offer already, if so what for.?
i applied but haven't go an offer yet.
also i suggest you keep revising just in case.

Hi,yeah I am a 2020 a level student
I have two offers for Biochemistry at the moment. I'm sure you will get an offer soon, they extended the ucas deadline, so university's should be starting to read personal statements and that. Keep being positive
Reply 7
Original post by barnybe
same, took a gap year so i could resit and ended up w an A* from autumn exams and was on the fence about retaking 2021 summer but seeing how everythings uncertain atm idk.

i have an unconditional offer w my current grades but rn im doing nothing. all of my friends went uni and im in tier 4 and i dont have a job atm so im sorta just waiting til september. ive applied to loads of places but everythings so competitive rn so ig im just biding my time.

also ive been trying to get my drivers license but its taking the longest time since corona stuff so this gap year is looking super unproductive rn but it is what it is ig

I have two unconditionals and I just like what do I do. Because obv course I dont wanna waste the time but there isnt much to do in a lockdown. Im going to start refreshing my brain for my uni course later on in the year. But for the time being Im just being lazy
Reply 8
Original post by eleanor1305
Hi! I’m also on a gap year rn before going to uni in September. I’m finding things to do with my time but it feels so rubbish being at home all day. Even tho uni isn’t great for everyone at the moment my friends are all starting to go back and I just feel stuck at home and like I’m missing out - are you guys finding the same??

I get exactly how you felt. When my sixth form friends started uni in September, i felt left out. And seeing other people at university on social media and things didn't make it better. Although this may sound mean, i just keep thinking my myself that when I go this year hopefully everything will be better than the 2020 Uni students. Oh also I'm counting down the days till September:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest