MOMENTS- GENERAL RULES FOR WHEN TO RESOLVE ^ AND > Watch

This discussion is closed.
faa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi, i had a question which involved a suspended beam, two supports. One had tension T the other 3T. beam had two weights on it: 150g and 250g.

Does this mean at each of the supports there was 100gN and 300gN since the weights must equal the tension?

Im a little unsure when to resolve horizontally and when vertically.........can anyone help?
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by faa)
Hi, i had a question which involved a suspended beam, two supports. One had tension T the other 3T. beam had two weights on it: 150g and 250g.

Does this mean at each of the supports there was 100gN and 300gN since the weights must equal the tension?

Im a little unsure when to resolve horizontally and when vertically.........can anyone help?
Generally you always resolve horizontally and vertically. In more complicated equilibrium questions you will also take moments.
If those are the only forces acting, and they are all acting in the same direction, then you would say T+3T = 150g + 250g = 4T = 400g, hence T = 100g and the tensions are 300g and 100g respectively.
faa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hi Gaz, sorry i mean specific to moment related question- im a little unsure when to take moments, resolve ^ and >
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by faa)
hi Gaz, sorry i mean specific to moment related question- im a little unsure when to take moments, resolve ^ and >
Always resolve vertically, horizontally and take moments in such questions.
Usually the equation you get from taking moments will form the main body of your answer and you will substitute information found from your resolving into the moment equation to simplify it into the requred variables.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?