Amack17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there, so I'm currently trying to choose my first choice for uni and I'm at an impass. I can't choose between Nottingham and Glasgow. At Nottingham I've applied for Classical Civilisation and it looks really awesome. But at Glasgow I've applied for Celtic civilization and Classical Civilization. I was so excited at the thought of being able to study Celtic as well as classic and thought it'd be my first choice easily. But they don't tell you much about the classics course and what they do they've managed to sound really dull. Can anyone tell me the sort of things you learn in first year classics at Glasgow? What were the positives and negatives? Just any advice is super appreciated as I feel pretty lost right now and it's really stressing me out
hello5789
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amack17)
Hey there, so I'm currently trying to choose my first choice for uni and I'm at an impass. I can't choose between Nottingham and Glasgow. At Nottingham I've applied for Classical Civilisation and it looks really awesome. But at Glasgow I've applied for Celtic civilization and Classical Civilization. I was so excited at the thought of being able to study Celtic as well as classic and thought it'd be my first choice easily. But they don't tell you much about the classics course and what they do they've managed to sound really dull. Can anyone tell me the sort of things you learn in first year classics at Glasgow? What were the positives and negatives? Just any advice is super appreciated as I feel pretty lost right now and it's really stressing me out
Hey,

I don't know anything about Glasgow, but I'm currently doing Classical Civilisation at Uni of Nottingham and I really love the course. The quality of teaching is great, each module has flexibility in the sense that within each topic you can really focus on elements that particularly interest you. There are a wide range of modules available exploring ancient literature, ancient history and art/archaeology. I have also done modules on Greek and Roman Mythology, and Graeco-Roman cultural interactions with the Near East which I've found especially interesting.

Nottingham is also a great uni generally and a great student city, so good night life/ social scene. Something also to consider is that with Glasgow comes a four year course, which means you won't be eligible for funding for postgrad study, if that's something you know you want to do. I also think that Nottingham ranks higher than Glasgow for Classics/Ancient History, if that's something that is important to you. Nottingham is within the top 10 whereas Glasgow isn't in the top 25 UK unis for Classics/ Ancient History.

Hope this helps, don't stress! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me
Last edited by hello5789; 1 month ago
hello5789
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The only real downside I can think of about Nottingham based on my own experience is that campus life can sometimes make you feel isolated. It is about a 15-20 minute tram ride into town, so sometimes it can feel a bit far out, especially if you just want to go into town in between lectures it is a bit of a faff.

However some people really love this. There is that enclosed campus vibe which offers a unique uni experience. It is super convenient that everything is all in one place and I think that is something I really valued as an undergrad, it's really a personal preference thing.
Venusplants
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amack17)
I recommend trying the Glasgow uni thread, I've got an offer for Classics civ / theology and firming myself, seems like a great course and uni x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (77)
11.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (158)
24.23%
Live streaming events (52)
7.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.05%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.47%
An in-person event when available (153)
23.47%