your mongolian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
so this afternoon i had an lesson about condensation and hydrolysis and and the beta and alpha helix i did not get it i feel so lost can anyone explain it to because it is so complex
Csilla555
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello,

I hope this will help a little bit.

In Biology when you are talking about macromolecules (Carbohydrates, Lipids, Proteins, Polynucleotides) then they are called macro because they are large (polymers) and they are made up of repeating units (monomers) /like they were a necklace with lots of repeating units, the string of beads/.

When you want to create polymers through a process called polymerisation you will add these monomers to the building chain.
You use a chemical process, called condensation. When two monomers joined together by condensation reaction, a water molecule (H2O) is released.
/Check some images on the net where for example two glucose monomers join together by condensation reaction. Note how water molecule leaves./

But once you have at least two monomers joining together (for example in Carbohydrates, a monomer (like glucose) + monomer (another glucose, or for example fructose) will give you a disaccharide (two monomers joining together) you can decide to break them apart /see below: hydrolysis/.
If you join a lot of monomers together then you get a polymer (in case of Carbohydrates, you call it polysaccharide).

You can break them down, separate them by the chemical process called hydrolysis.
So hydrolysis is the opposite of condensation.
'Hydro' means adding water...
So while in condensation reaction water is released by the reaction, in hydrolysis you add the H2O molecule and that helps to break the bond between the monomers.

Your second question was about alpha helix and beta sheet structure.
I suppose you were asking about protein structure.

Proteins have 3+1 structure.
The first is the amino acid sequence.

The second is the alpha helix or beta sheet structure.
This is the shape which the polypeptide chain forms as a result of hydrogen bonding. Check the image I uploaded (hopefully I can attach it).

The tertiary structure of a protein is due to the bending and twisting of the polypeptide helix into a compact structure (a proper 3D structure). All three types of bond, disulfide, ionic and hydrogen bond, contribute to the maintenance of the tertiary structure.

Some proteins also have quaternary structure. (not all of them). But if your protein is made up of more than 1 polypeptide chain then we say that it has quaternary structure as well. Like haemoglobin. Check its structure on the net. It has 4 polypeptide chains.
But 2 would be enough to have quaternary structure of a protein.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!!
your mongolian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Csilla555)
Hello,

I hope this will help a little bit.

In Biology when you are talking about macromolecules (Carbohydrates, Lipids, Proteins, Polynucleotides) then they are called macro because they are large (polymers) and they are made up of repeating units (monomers) /like they were a necklace with lots of repeating units, the string of beads/.

When you want to create polymers through a process called polymerisation you will add these monomers to the building chain.
You use a chemical process, called condensation. When two monomers joined together by condensation reaction, a water molecule (H2O) is released.
/Check some images on the net where for example two glucose monomers join together by condensation reaction. Note how water molecule leaves./

But once you have at least two monomers joining together (for example in Carbohydrates, a monomer (like glucose) + monomer (another glucose, or for example fructose) will give you a disaccharide (two monomers joining together) you can decide to break them apart /see below: hydrolysis/.
If you join a lot of monomers together then you get a polymer (in case of Carbohydrates, you call it polysaccharide).

You can break them down, separate them by the chemical process called hydrolysis.
So hydrolysis is the opposite of condensation.
'Hydro' means adding water...
So while in condensation reaction water is released by the reaction, in hydrolysis you add the H2O molecule and that helps to break the bond between the monomers.

Your second question was about alpha helix and beta sheet structure.
I suppose you were asking about protein structure.

Proteins have 3+1 structure.
The first is the amino acid sequence.

The second is the alpha helix or beta sheet structure.
This is the shape which the polypeptide chain forms as a result of hydrogen bonding. Check the image I uploaded (hopefully I can attach it).

The tertiary structure of a protein is due to the bending and twisting of the polypeptide helix into a compact structure (a proper 3D structure). All three types of bond, disulfide, ionic and hydrogen bond, contribute to the maintenance of the tertiary structure.

Some proteins also have quaternary structure. (not all of them). But if your protein is made up of more than 1 polypeptide chain then we say that it has quaternary structure as well. Like haemoglobin. Check its structure on the net. It has 4 polypeptide chains.
But 2 would be enough to have quaternary structure of a protein.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!!
thanks you wrote it like an essay thank you for your time
Csilla555
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by your mongolian)
thanks you wrote it like an essay thank you for your time
I hope it helps.

Nice topic

Happy studying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (3)
60%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (1)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
20%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads