Ozymandias and My Last Duchess comparing essay PLEASE MARK.

Watch this thread
2939HIHI
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Both “My Last Duchess” and “Ozymandias” are based around powerful rulers who abuse their use of power to people leading them to be victims of the abuse of power. Both of the characters are men which they have ordered an artist or a sculptor to produce a piece of art to display their power.

In “Ozymandias” Shelley has used alliteration to present Ozymandias as a powerful ruler “cold command” the verb “command” reflects the harsh tone of the ‘c’ which shows how egoist and conceited he was. Shelley conveys how the use of power has made him into a corrupt ruler which leads other people to be the victim, so power has destroyed his personality of being an honest king. Shelley is highlighting that by having power will be useless as power will make people perceive you as the way you are. However, this is ironic as the statue only shows “cold command” but no one is listening to him which perhaps highlights how his power is lost to the sands which represents time. It also shows how the statue is an allegory for the end of power meaning that power in this life is no use in the afterlife- when you are dead this presents the poem as an Ironic memorial to the ancient Pharaoh. Similarly, in “My Last Duchess” Browning has used verb “command” to present the Duke as a powerful ruler which perhaps shows how what he says will be done to the artist which reflects the artist being a victim of the abuse of power - like in Ozymandias of how other people are a victim of his “cold command”- which presents the Duke as a powerful ruler, but the verb “gave” does not reflect no harsh adjective “cold” like in Ozymandias perhaps meaning that Ozymandias and the Duke treat people in different ways.

In “My Last Duchess” patriarchal society was common by how women were under the influence of men which is represented in the poem by how the Duchess is the victim of the abuse of power by the Duke of the sibilance “smiles stopped” the use of the sibilance refers to how quickly her death has happened because the Duchess did not satisfy the Duke which perhaps Browning shows how men will get what they want. Similarly, in “Ozymandias” there was no patriarchal society, but “Ozymandias” is a man and he was above every one- just like in “My Last Duchess” of how the Duke is above the Duchess- so everyone was the victim of abuse of power from Ozymandias- In “My Last Duchess” the Duchess is the victim of the abuse of power. Both of the writers present both of them as powerful rulers by surrounding the context of that time as how “power” led them to take control of people which Shelley and Browning presents “power” as a curse.

In “Ozymandias” Shelley has used the form of a Petrearchan sonnet of where it consists of the layout of an Octave-8 lines- and a sestet- 6 lines- where the octave offers a problem but the sestet offers a solution which represents the layout of power of how power is a problem at first but will be gone at the end which symbolises Ozymandias’ life of how he is not a problem no more. However, in “My Last Duchess” Browning has used the form of a dramatic monologue with the Duke of Ferrara arranging his new marriage but he got carried away and started to talk about his new life, so the form of the dramatic monologue shows the thoughts about the Duke, but ironically he never lets the listener speak which shows him as a powerful ruler because everyone listens to him, but he does not listen to anyone.

In “My Last Duchess” Browning has used caesura “I gave commands/then all smiles stopped together” the use of the caesura enhances the violence of this line which Browning perhaps wants to show the real personality of the Duke by this line echoing the destruction implied by the Duchess. Similarly Shelley has used caesura, but it has different meaning so in “Ozymandias” describing the statue as it “stands in the desert” so it reinforces the sense of isolation surrounding the statue which represents the isolation near Ozymandias which reinforces how no one is listening to him by “‘Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!” which is ironic as his “works” have been destroyed and no one has “despair” him. Shelley perhaps shows the passage of time of how Ozymandias was a corrupt ruler, a powerful ruler, but in the passage of time the power has gone away.

In conclusion, “My Last Duchess” shows the use of power but “Ozymandias” shows the effect people with power can have after.

Plz put the grade u think this deserves
2939HIHI
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
plz help
2939HIHI
Rep:
plz help.
Iwanttobesmart
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
what was the question of the essay?
2939HIHI
Rep:
(Original post by Iwanttobesmart)
Compare how powerful rulers are presented in Ozymandias and My Last Duchess
2939HIHI
Rep:
(Original post by Iwanttobesmart)
It will help me so much, if you can grade and mark it.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 2939HIHI)
plz help.
Please do not bump your thread so often. Be patient.
2939HIHI
Rep:
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Please do not bump your thread so often. Be patient.
I only did it two times not "often". Also, my teacher did not mark it, so I do not know what grade it is. Also, considering the "corona" situation I do not know what the grade is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.67%
As I expected (47)
31.33%
Harder (56)
37.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.67%

Watched Threads