DocWho49
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

I have a conditional offer for a PGCE starting in September and I am quite worried as I need to do a subject knowledge enhancement course.

Is this a bad thing, or is it a normal thing to have to do, is it likely that I will pass it, what if I fail?

The funding for the Subject Knowledge Enhancement has not been updated on my University site yet, they said they are waiting for the department for education to get back to them, however, I found this:

1. ii) Eligibility for SKE - those who have a degree in their chosen ITT subject awarded in the previous 5 years are not eligible for SKE. These candidates should have the required level of subject knowledge, or be able to top up their knowledge, without a DfE funded SKE course.

2. https://www.ucet.ac.uk/12480/dfe-ske...s-for-ay202021

I have done a Computing degree (Computing, Security and Forensics) and am looking to apply, but it would seem like funding may not be available as I have studied Computing at degree level. The course I am looking at is not labelled as 'computing' but 'Computer Science and IT' I don't think that will make a difference?

I need advice, what do I do, I am stuck in a bit of not knowing what to do. The uni says to wait until funding is announced, but what if I cannot afford it, I cannot spare 9k. Am I likely to be able to get on and pass this Subject Knowledge Enhancement course? I am so confused
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by DocWho49)
Hi,

I have a conditional offer for a PGCE starting in September and I am quite worried as I need to do a subject knowledge enhancement course.

Is this a bad thing, or is it a normal thing to have to do, is it likely that I will pass it, what if I fail?

The funding for the Subject Knowledge Enhancement has not been updated on my University site yet, they said they are waiting for the department for education to get back to them, however, I found this:

1. ii) Eligibility for SKE - those who have a degree in their chosen ITT subject awarded in the previous 5 years are not eligible for SKE. These candidates should have the required level of subject knowledge, or be able to top up their knowledge, without a DfE funded SKE course.

I have done a Computing degree (Computing, Security and Forensics) and am looking to apply, but it would seem like funding may not be available as I have studied Computing at degree level. The course I am looking at is not labelled as 'computing' but 'Computer Science and IT' I don't think that will make a difference?

I need advice, what do I do, I am stuck in a bit of not knowing what to do. The uni says to wait until funding is announced, but what if I cannot afford it, I cannot spare 9k. Am I likely to be able to get on and pass this Subject Knowledge Enhancement course? I am so confused
The courses are easy, no-one fails them, but if you can't get funding then that is a big ask.

If you can't get funding, then theoretically you don't really need the SKE, so I would attempt to renegotiate your offer with your uni, then.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by DocWho49)
Hi,

Hello DocWho49

Congratulations on your place on a Teacher Training course. How very exciting.

In regards to the SKE course condition of your offer, it's not uncommon and many people find the courses useful. The courses are designed to enhance your subject knowledge in preparation for your teaching of that subject knowledge and is not something that I've heard of anyone 'failing'. When did you complete your degree?

SKE courses will be available from April. Has your Teacher Training course provider specified a length of time for your SKE course, as they maybe as short as 8 weeks or upto 28 weeks? During your SKE course, you'll receive a £175 per week tax free bursary, and as the SKE course is a condition of your offer you ought not need to pay any fees towards the course. Please note, that if your SKE course overlaps your teacher training course you will not be paid two bursaries. (ie the SKE bursary would halt and you'd get the ITT bursary, if applicable) You may decide the best course for you in consultation with your Teacher Training provider. The list of SKE courses can be viewed here.

Hope you enjoy your SKE course, and more so your Teacher Training. Teaching is such a fun job!

Jane
fspider
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi guys, I have secured a conditional place starting my PGCE in computer science in Sept this year. I have also just been enrolled on to 8 weeks SKE funded course. I wanted to ask if there are any student support groups available online? I am just conscious that the courses are online only and seems as though with minimal support from a provider. Any help support guidance will be very much appreciated.

P.S - congrats on securing a place for PGCE!
Mariya_sonu
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Can you request a longer ske course from your provider?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mariya_sonu)
Can you request a longer ske course from your provider?
You can certainly asked the question to the course provider as the duration of the course is determined on a case to case basis. The course providers are highly experienced and usually are aware of how ling to keep a future candidate on an SKE course...but if you don't ask, you don't get.
Mariya_sonu
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thanks. I talked to my provider and they offered me the one I requested.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads