anonymous1.x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hiya, I'm currently a Year 13 student and I'm losing my sanity. All these lockdowns have taken a toll on my mental health and the amount of content I need to cover is immensely overwhelming. In Year 12 i suffered from depression and that took a toll on on my grades. Over summer i was getting better but since the start of year 13 it all went downhill again. I've had so much to catch up on from the March lockdown that I entered it feeling extremely anxious and throughout year 13 I've been losing my motivation day by day and feel extremely mentally drained and exhausted. I dont think i have it in me to carry on especially given the uncertainty of exams I don't have it in me to carry on. I dont want to retake my a levels either because i really dont enjoy my subjects so doing them for another year won't do me any good. Do you think it's a better option for me to take a break from education and perhaps look into alternatives? If so, what possible alternatives could i do? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
aliaa03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hello

there's no uncertainty of exams. we're now using teacher assessed grades.

i obviously don't know your situation but if you're struggling with content in general it may be slightly easier this year to convince your teachers to increase your grade by giving them extra work as they're now in charge of grading.

this is good because you can work through some worksheets at night or whenever you feel productive. e.g a past paper or other revision resources and email it to your teacher. we have 6 months till grades are decided so you can work through it at your own pace and build up a portfolio of evidence for your grade so your teacher will give you a higher grade and make it more easier than if you had to do the exam and your grade was based solely on your exams.

obviously if you just don't like your course or whayever you're doing then you should consider dropping out because that's definitely not good for you and life's too short to try pursue a path you're not passionate about.

but if this is just your workload stressing you out then unless you think you'll be able to understand content and feel relaxed after a year when you retake a levels, i'd say it'd be easier to just keep going with year 13 and get a teacher assessed grade
anonymous1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliaa03)
hello

there's no uncertainty of exams. we're now using teacher assessed grades.

i obviously don't know your situation but if you're struggling with content in general it may be slightly easier this year to convince your teachers to increase your grade by giving them extra work as they're now in charge of grading.

this is good because you can work through some worksheets at night or whenever you feel productive. e.g a past paper or other revision resources and email it to your teacher. we have 6 months till grades are decided so you can work through it at your own pace and build up a portfolio of evidence for your grade so your teacher will give you a higher grade and make it more easier than if you had to do the exam and your grade was based solely on your exams.

obviously if you just don't like your course or whayever you're doing then you should consider dropping out because that's definitely not good for you and life's too short to try pursue a path you're not passionate about.

but if this is just your workload stressing you out then unless you think you'll be able to understand content and feel relaxed after a year when you retake a levels, i'd say it'd be easier to just keep going with year 13 and get a teacher assessed grade
Hiya thank you for your reply.
I am studying A levels in Psychology, Economics and Sociology. Since December Year 12 my mental health started deteriorating significantly which then went on to impact my performance at school. Lockdown and quarantine only made it worse and i was left with very bad AS Grades. However, I tried to be resilient and motivated myself to carry on into Year 13 and bring up my grades. Once Year 13 started in September, the constant stress and eagerness of me wanting to improve my predicted grades took a big toll on my mental health. Within a week of finding out my teachers cannot change my predicted grades, i was left shattered and lost all of my confidence to do well. My mental health is worse than it has ever been and i cannot think of anything school related. I haven't even applied to any universities yet because I'm so unsure with my options right now and i feel that i need a break from school. My concentration and attention span has decreased so much and even when we we're in lessons before Christmas i just used to sit in the back having a mental breakdown because i couldn't process any information and honestly just needed an escape. Throughout Christmas holidays, I was struggling to do minimal tasks such as getting out of bed and so revision was just not something that i was looking forward to. I wasn't able to revise for my Jan mocks and would've failed those due to my lack of interest and motivation towards daily life and school. Even now in online school i cant focus in class and my mind is never towards learning. It's like i dont even look forward to it anymore.

I really feel like i need a break from school but I'm really scared of what to do if i drop out because 1) i'd have just wasted two years of my life and 2) the only qualification i'd have are gcses. My mental health only started detoriating once i started sixth form. At GCSE i was mentally stable and obtained 7-9s at GCSEs. I really want to go university aswell but my circumstances have left me with no hope. So I feel like I'll be at a dead end if i drop out. But then again i dont have it in me to carry on in year 13 or retake year 13. I'm sorry it sounds like im not making any sense but im really lost rn
aliaa03
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by BicBoi911)
Those are easy A-levels wtf..
psychology is NOT an easy A level anyway subject difficulties vary person to person.
BicBoi911
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
psychology is NOT an easy A level anyway subject difficulties vary person to person.
All you do is memorise a bunch of peoples names.. not fun but doable
aliaa03
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
All you do is memorise a bunch of peoples names.. not fun but doable
6 of my friends take A level psychology. 3 dropped out midway through year 12 and everyone's finding the essay writing extremely difficult.

good for you if you understand psychology but it's not an easy subject for everyone
BicBoi911
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
6 of my friends take A level psychology. 3 dropped out midway through year 12 and everyone's finding the essay writing extremely difficult.

good for you if you understand psychology but it's not an easy subject for everyone
Im not gonna lie I dont do psychology one of my mates do and he said it's just a load of pointless memorising..
but yea fair enough i guess it not everyones cup of tea
aliaa03
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Im not gonna lie I dont do psychology one of my mates do and he said it's just a load of pointless memorising..
but yea fair enough i guess it not everyones cup of tea
haha yes if you're going to describe most a level subjects that's what everyone would say.

i take a level bio and the only way to describe it is memorising a bunch of words but it doesn't make it easy just cause that's all you do.

what other subjects do you take out of curiosity??
anonymous1.x
Rep:
?
Those are easy A-levels wtf..
Thats the common misconception many people have and tend to overlook it. It's very content heavy with lots of different studies and concepts that have to be memorised.
BicBoi911
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
haha yes if you're going to describe most a level subjects that's what everyone would say.

i take a level bio and the only way to describe it is memorising a bunch of words but it doesn't make it easy just cause that's all you do.

maths, business and bio
BicBoi911
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

How do you find bio?
BicBoi911
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by anonymous1.x)
Thats the common misconception many people have and tend to overlook it. It's very content heavy with lots of different studies and concepts that have to be memorised.
Yea my bad, i was a bit of a pr*ck
DJ Trump fan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
maths, business and bio
You said the other person's subjects are easy but you take business haha
BicBoi911
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DJ Trump fan)
You said the other person's subjects are easy but you take business haha
tbf i choose it for just that reason, wanted a doss lesson
anonymous1.x
Rep:
?
Yea my bad, i was a bit of a pr*ck
No problem Also, before my mental health started detereorating i was achieved A* and A but drastically dropped to Es and Us. This was because i was losing motivation to attend lessons so i started falling behind :/
DJ Trump fan
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
tbf i choose it for just that reason, wanted a doss lesson
That's why most people in my school took it and now they're failing
anonymous1.x
Rep:
?
Guys sorry for being a bum, can you please give me some advice
BicBoi911
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DJ Trump fan)
That's why most people in my school took it and now they're failing
Well I'm not in your school, am i?
DJ Trump fan
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well I'm not in your school, am i?
You could be but you're probably too intelligent for the crap hole I attend
aliaa03
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
maths, business and bio
i do business and bio, chemistry is my 3rd cause it was compulsory for vet med.

and honestly year 13 bio is awful. they said year 12 was hard and i thought it was okay but all this DNA and genetic engineering and complicated diagrams of the liver and kidneys it's just ridiculous

at the time of my application i had to resit both my math and science gcses cause i was 1 grade below the entry requirements, so i did my exams alongside A level mocks and honestly.... seeing the GCSE biology compared to A level made me realise how easy gcses were 😭

there's just so much to learn!!!! it's ridiculous and i find it even harder to learn online. how do you find all your subjects??? (i love business!!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.7%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.95%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (158)
37.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.11%

Watched Threads