The Student Room Group

Pharmacy vs Pharmacology [Employability]

Hey
Yes I've read the previous threads on this very topic and i do understand the key differences between the 2. Tbh, I have an interest in both and feel like i'll do good in both. I just wanted to know with which degree you would be more interesting to an employer. As in, it does not have to be specific to pharmacies or research labs, but the world outside pharmacy. Which one would be more appealing to an employer to employ? The deadline is coming soon so i would appreciate every reply Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by saad3x3
Hey
Yes I've read the previous threads on this very topic and i do understand the key differences between the 2. Tbh, I have an interest in both and feel like i'll do good in both. I just wanted to know with which degree you would be more interesting to an employer. As in, it does not have to be specific to pharmacies or research labs, but the world outside pharmacy. Which one would be more appealing to an employer to employ? The deadline is coming soon so i would appreciate every reply Thanks

Hey,

I don’t know much about Pharmacology but I can share with you my knowledge of pharmacy career from my lecturers and personal contacts (even though I’m still a student).

The majority of new graduates will go into either community (e.g. Boots, Superdrug) or hospital pharmacy. You can also have do your pre-reg year (work+learn) in GPs, prison or at a pharmaceutical company. The pre-reg program anywhere is designed to give you some experience/real real knowledge and prepare you for your registration exam, where after that (if you pass and registered) you can then call yourself a pharmacist. So in term of flexibility, you can apply for any job that’s being advertised with a GPhC registration as a requirement.

Pros: rewarding career (pharmacists are required to know and do a lot more than you think), high employment rate

Cons: inadequate salary imo (you will need to keep learning and adapting yourself to new roles /responsibilities in order to move up the ladder)

Good luck, no matter which one you choose :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hana1306
Hey,

I don’t know much about Pharmacology but I can share with you my knowledge of pharmacy career from my lecturers and personal contacts (even though I’m still a student).

The majority of new graduates will go into either community (e.g. Boots, Superdrug) or hospital pharmacy. You can also have do your pre-reg year (work+learn) in GPs, prison or at a pharmaceutical company. The pre-reg program anywhere is designed to give you some experience/real real knowledge and prepare you for your registration exam, where after that (if you pass and registered) you can then call yourself a pharmacist. So in term of flexibility, you can apply for any job that’s being advertised with a GPhC registration as a requirement.

Pros: rewarding career (pharmacists are required to know and do a lot more than you think), high employment rate

Cons: inadequate salary imo (you will need to keep learning and adapting yourself to new roles /responsibilities in order to move up the ladder)

Good luck, no matter which one you choose :smile:

Thank you for your reply
Eventhough I got the grades to be entered into both degrees, I am more inclined towards pharmacology since its more research based and the employability isn't too narrow as a person like me changes their minds lol and I can start any other field

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending