Nat 5 Discursive Piece

Watch this thread
alexm2020
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’ve been told to start writing a first draft of my discursive essay. I want to write it on Nature vs Nurture and focus on the question “Are criminals born or made?” but I’m not sure if this would be suitable for a discursive and I’m not sure how I would split up the argument into 6 key paragraphs (3 for, 3 against).
writerCG
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Try aim for the most quirky, unusual essay possible as this is what markers look for. They will be marking lots repeatedly and they admire a change or someone going against stereotypes. Personally, the for and against can seem choppy, however, I am aware some teachers encourage this as it is easier. I have been taught the 3 areas of clash method, you basically select your main arguments and persuade. It essentially chops off the other 3 you would have done but you just take a stance and stick with it if that makes sense? This keeps a tight structure. Although, if you did stick with the structure you have stated, just ensure your topic sentences are immaculate and transition rather than "Additionally, nature versus nurture can be seen as crucial..."

This just bores the marker, despite it being essentially correct, a good writer will use their own flare. Nobody will tell you this but in National 5 you are able to make lots more slip-ups and use basic language to achieve at least 10/15. Hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise