Transferring to Oxford from Warwick

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
At the moment I am a first year mathematics student at Warwick.
While I was at sixth form I was very keen on going to Cambridge to do mathematics. I got an interview at Cambridge but I ended up flopping it so I didn't even get an offer even though I applied with 3 predicted A*s and an A* in a level maths I got already in year 12. I settled on going to Warwick.
In around October, still butthurt about getting rejected from Cambridge, I decided to apply to study maths at Oxford on a whim--not Cambridge since they don't take in people who have already started Uni--and to my surprised I actually got past the interview stage and received an unconditional offer. However if I were to accept it, it would mean I would have to start from the first year again.
I'm not really sure what to do now: it seems like the general consensus is that Oxford and Warwick have around the same reputation in maths (at least in the UK), so I find it hard to see how starting over there will give me any intellectual benefit, moreover after discussing with some 4th year students at Warwick they brought up the fact that it would leave a gap in my CV when applying for postgraduate positions, that I would somehow have to justify.
I plan on applying to do a masters at Oxford or Cambridge anyway so it begs to ask if there's any point in wasting a year just to get in now.
On the other hand, it is Oxbridge after all, and supposedly every year it becomes more competitive to get in, so if I want to end up there anyway doesn't it make sense I just take the offer now?
OxMus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
At the moment I am a first year mathematics student at Warwick.
While I was at sixth form I was very keen on going to Cambridge to do mathematics. I got an interview at Cambridge but I ended up flopping it so I didn't even get an offer even though I applied with 3 predicted A*s and an A* in a level maths I got already in year 12. I settled on going to Warwick.
In around October, still butthurt about getting rejected from Cambridge, I decided to apply to study maths at Oxford on a whim--not Cambridge since they don't take in people who have already started Uni--and to my surprise I actually got past the interview stage and received an unconditional offer. However if I were to accept it, it would mean I would have to start from the first year again.
I'm not really sure what to do now: it seems like the general consensus is that Oxford and Warwick have around the same reputation in maths (at least in the UK), so I find it hard to see how starting over there will give me any intellectual benefit, moreover after discussing with some 4th year students at Warwick they brought up the fact that it would leave a gap in my CV when applying for postgraduate positions, that I would somehow have to justify.
I plan on applying to do a masters at Oxford or Cambridge anyway so it begs to ask if there's any point in wasting a year just to get in now.
On the other hand, it is Oxbridge after all, and supposedly every year it becomes more competitive to get in, so if I want to end up there anyway doesn't it make sense I just take the offer now?
Well, you need to work out whether a) you actually want to go to Oxford, or b) you applied just for the hell of it. There’s a difference. If you’re happy at Warwick and don’t actually want to leave, it wouldn’t be foolish to stay.

Some thoughts as I was reading your post:
• Having achieved highly in your A levels, taken STEP (I presume?), and completed a year of undergrad study, you’ll probably be well equipped to thrive at Oxford (given you’ll be doing similar first-year stuff? Again, I presume), and have a fairly chill first year.
• Restarting a degree means you’ll probably get a full 4-year university experience free from covid (:moon: *sigh*, imagine)
• Re CVs, it doesn’t get much better than Oxford
• Oxford is a REALLY cool place.
• But also, yeah, you could just apply for postgrad

Make of that what you will.

PS: why anonymous?
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Its not really a gap on your cv is it, put you did one year at warwick and then got into oxford, it shows your persistence in getting where you think you want to be.
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just a heads up, postgrad funding is quite a mess at Oxbridge (a lot of people are priced out). Just something to research before you make your decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.86%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
56.33%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
6.96%

Watched Threads