The Student Room Group

A level choices

I wanted to take biology chemistry and health and social care in A LEVEL. But I can barely scrape a 5 in maths does anyone have any advice on what I should do???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hello83
I wanted to take biology chemistry and health and social care in A LEVEL. But I can barely scrape a 5 in maths does anyone have any advice on what I should do???
moved this thread to a levels for you so you should get more helpful responses :yep:
Reply 3
try to work really hard on gsce maths. tbh biology doesn't have THAT much maths in it but chemistry has quite a lot so if you don't feel that confident in maths, i would say you can still do biology but maybe try something else instead of chem? but if your gcse chemistry is quite good then i dont see why you can't do chemistry
Reply 4
As long as you can rearrange equations and input numbers you'll be fine. I do chem and bio at a level and it's not too challenging - someone i know failed maths at gcse and is finding bio maths ok. You can always practice some maths along side your a levels ?
Don’t bother with physics if you can’t even get a 5 at GCSE it has more maths than maths does I dropped it after a month as it was so hard and I got an 8 in 2019. took up business instead.
Reply 6
Original post by parmezanne
moved this thread to a levels for you so you should get more helpful responses :yep:

Thankyou, how do you move it??
Reply 7
Original post by 0603
try to work really hard on gsce maths. tbh biology doesn't have THAT much maths in it but chemistry has quite a lot so if you don't feel that confident in maths, i would say you can still do biology but maybe try something else instead of chem? but if your gcse chemistry is quite good then i dont see why you can't do chemistry

But is there any point on working hard on gsce maths as they’re cancelled? And I have considered not taking chemistry, if I don’t get a 6 in maths (which I doubt I will) I have no choice but to not take it
Reply 8
Original post by Mollx
As long as you can rearrange equations and input numbers you'll be fine. I do chem and bio at a level and it's not too challenging - someone i know failed maths at gcse and is finding bio maths ok. You can always practice some maths along side your a levels ?

Yes I can do that easily, but I don’t think I’ll get the grade boundary requirements as I won’t get a 6
Reply 9
Original post by Ivyreign
Don’t bother with physics if you can’t even get a 5 at GCSE it has more maths than maths does I dropped it after a month as it was so hard and I got an 8 in 2019. took up business instead.

Yh I know, I’m not even considering it, I’m **** at it
Reply 10
Original post by hello83
But is there any point on working hard on gsce maths as they’re cancelled? And I have considered not taking chemistry, if I don’t get a 6 in maths (which I doubt I will) I have no choice but to not take it

your teachers are still going to give you tests in school though. so if you do really good in them, surely they'll increase your current maths grade by a bit
Reply 11
Original post by 0603
your teachers are still going to give you tests in school though. so if you do really good in them, surely they'll increase your current maths grade by a bit

That’s true but I have no time to revise all I can do it do the work they set, and what if we don’t even go back
Reply 12
Original post by hello83
That’s true but I have no time to revise all I can do it do the work they set, and what if we don’t even go back

why do you have no time to revise? and even if we don't go back properly, there would probably still be an alternative exam that students can do if they're not happy with the grades that their teachers gave them (like the autumn exams in 2020) so you still do have a chance to get a higher grade in maths
Reply 13
Original post by 0603
why do you have no time to revise? and even if we don't go back properly, there would probably still be an alternative exam that students can do if they're not happy with the grades that their teachers gave them (like the autumn exams in 2020) so you still do have a chance to get a higher grade in maths

Because they set too much work now, so all of my day goes by doing online learning. But thankyou for your advice, but I don’t know where to start revising, there’s way too much to revive on the maths
Original post by hello83
Thankyou, how do you move it??

state secrets, can't tell you that! :eek:

Spoiler

Original post by parmezanne
state secrets, can't tell you that! :eek:

Spoiler

That’s really cool! You’re so lucky to have these “special” powers :biggrin:
Whatever you do, don't do physics without a 9 in maths and a 9 in physics.
Chemistry you probably need a 7 in maths from the things I have seen from friends in the second year, esp if you don't do A-Level maths
Biology isn't so hard or demanding but I would still say at least a 6 in maths

Whare are your science grades?
Try doing lots of exam questions and papers and send them to your teacher to mark or mark yourself and let your teacher know you are doing these exams. Imo teachers love to see you practicing and revising exam style questions and past papers.
I completely agree with this - just make sure what ever you decide you work hard at it. It's true A Levels are hard but if you work hard it makes it a whole lot easier.

Don't stress

Original post by BreezyM
Try doing lots of exam questions and papers and send them to your teacher to mark or mark yourself and let your teacher know you are doing these exams. Imo teachers love to see you practicing and revising exam style questions and past papers.
Original post by Mollie~
I completely agree with this - just make sure what ever you decide you work hard at it. It's true A Levels are hard but if you work hard it makes it a whole lot easier.

Don't stress

💯💯💯

Quick Reply

Latest