BREAKING: Trump impeached for a second time

Watch
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55656385

This really has been a record breaking presidency.

Mod note: Please help to ensure all posts in this thread follow TSR's community guidelines. If you see any posts which you think might not be within guidelines or might be deliberately encouraging misinformation, please just hit the report button. Our Moderation Team will be monitoring this thread.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 day ago
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
The house has voted. Donald Trump has been impeached for inciting insurrection. 😂
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Reported:

Reuters

BBC

Al Jazeera

No-one can say we don't live in interesting times!
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 day ago
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Good. And, with that, a reminder of one of Trump's very last tweets after the insurrection, trying to justify terrorism from his "great patriots":

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
This is going to be the official thread for this news story.
I've added a quick note in the OP and given the thread an orange title.( :mmm: )
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I’ll still (sadly) be surprised if enough republican senators do the right thing or if they vote along party lines like the cowards all politicians are.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
It is kind of a meaningless vote until it gets to the Senate.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
This is going to be the official thread for this news story.
I've added a quick note in the OP and given the thread an orange title.( :mmm: )
On night mode the title looks like it’s written ... in peach!
jackmarshal757
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
The man never ceases to amaze. He will definitely go down as being an icon I’ll give you that. The reason he won was because he was an unusual candidate. In the primaries he got an equivalent of $2 billion in air time and didn’t pay a penny for it
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
and now there's a blue majority in the senate so he'll most likely be indited too. props to ilhan omar and everyone else for pushing it through so quickly
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
and now there's a blue majority in the senate so he'll most likely be indited too. props to ilhan omar and everyone else for pushing it through so quickly
The senate trial will require a two-thirds majority to succeed, so it's a matter of seeing how many senators break rank.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Gofre)
The senate trial will require a two-thirds majority to succeed, so it's a matter of seeing how many senators break rank.
I doubt many will when there is a threat of violence for crossing the party line.
jackmarshal757
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
It won’t happen before Biden is inaugurated. There have been three impeachments beforehand and the shortest one happened in 21 days
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Lets be frank here, whilst he obviously deserves whats coming to him for his part in that hilarious inept insurrection, this is little more than a bit of political showmanship. The Democrats are aware (at least i'd hope they are) that they dont have a snowballs chance in hell of actually convicting him here.. at least not with the GOP inserted so far up Trumps ass. Never mind the practical limitations here, under a week left in office.

Dont get me wrong it's nice to see him get what is coming to him, if only a semblance of it. But the fact remains there is no particular upside to this and as much as i hate to agree with some of the GOP senators (especially at they said this dishonestly) it will do nothing but further harden the polarization there. As far as reaching across the isle goes, well. The next session of congress is going to be a less than happy one for many reasons but principally this and a load of the democratic senators being infected by GOP plague carriers :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Gofre)
In the very best case scenario, where you'd have to be amplifying the desire with some form of chemical enhancement, i would be incredibly shocked if they managed to get even a handful to cross. Not only would they be effectively torpedoing any re-election ambitions they hold but, as Diddy noted, there will be serious physical threats of violence against them. I doubt any of them would risk finding themselves in a noose over this blimp.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
Lets be frank here, whilst he obviously deserves whats coming to him for his part in that hilarious inept insurrection, this is little more than a bit of political showmanship. The Democrats are aware (at least i'd hope they are) that they dont have a snowballs chance in hell of actually convicting him here.. at least not with the GOP inserted so far up Trumps ass. Never mind the practical limitations here, under a week left in office.

Dont get me wrong it's nice to see him get what is coming to him, if only a semblance of it. But the fact remains there is no particular upside to this and as much as i hate to agree with some of the GOP senators (especially at they said this dishonestly) it will do nothing but further harden the polarization there. As far as reaching across the isle goes, well. The next session of congress is going to be a less than happy one for many reasons but principally this and a load of the democratic senators being infected by GOP plague carriers :lol:
He can still be impeached after leaving office. It will bar him from ever running as a presidential candidate again.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
He can still be impeached after leaving office. It will bar him from ever running as a presidential candidate again.
Indeed, but i maintain its dubious it will go anywhere.
That would be nice, although it doesnt preclude his revolting children, in particular Jr, from doing it on his behalf. Nethermind, as bad as Trump himself is, his son seems much, much worse.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
Indeed, but i maintain its dubious it will go anywhere.
That would be nice, although it doesnt preclude his revolting children, in particular Jr, from doing it on his behalf. Nethermind, as bad as Trump himself is, his son seems much, much worse.
I highly doubt it will get passed the Senate.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
An interesting quick take on this
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)

I'd argue the only alternative is to buckle and let him away with it, and all the messages that sends. It feels like a police officer saying 'Why bother arresting them? the court will likely go easy on them.

I agree it is generally unlikely to succeed given the majority required and chamber disposition, but that's the process they've chosen. I felt the same last time also, it was obvious the senate wouldn't give him a fair trial, they pretty much said so. But if the Dems want to use that as an excuse for inaction, what's the use of them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
11.76%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (29)
24.37%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (52)
43.7%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16.81%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.36%

Watched Threads