The Student Room Group

tesco rejected me but hired my UNDERAGE SISTER

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloebird
No offence but get out of your own arse. Clearly what they mean is you’re more of a university RISK. It wouldn’t be smart for employers to go for anyone who MIGHT leave soon, even if they have no way to prove it. At 18, with a record that shows high motivation, you’re a flight risk; deal with it. Grow up and focus on getting another job and being happy for your sister. You should be over this kind of entitlement at your age.

I totally agree
Original post by Emma:-)
I totally agree

yessss let's gang up on the 18 year old
There is no need to mention your A-Levels on you are CV when applying to a job like that.
You could also simply state that you have 5 passes at GCSE including maths and english. You aren't lying and AFAIK there isn't any away for them to detect that you are misleading them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sundayblues
i've only had one job :frown: i didn't put that on my cv bc last year i did and i was told they want someone that could commit, so i took it off and got a job somewhere else straight away lol.

i hope so, i just really wanted to work at that tesco bc we live in area where there's like a 50p+ location supplement or whatever it's called, so the pay is like £10.50 an hour, whereas i'm currently getting £0 an hour :biggrin: the only companies actually offering me interviews are mcdonalds and subway which are minimum wage which is def not enough ;(

Any job is better than no job. At least until you find something bettee. Do a few more hours if you want the money.
And I think you will find that McDonald's is slightly more than minimum wage. I used to work there.
Original post by glassalice
There is no need to mention your A-Levels on you are CV when applying to a job like that.
You could also simply state that you have 5 passes at GCSE including maths and english. You aren't lying and AFAIK there isn't any away for them to detect that you are misleading them.

even when you dont mention your grades on your cv they always ask at interviews and on the online applications rip
Any job is better than no job. At least until you find something bettee. Do a few more hours if you want the money.
And I think you will find that McDonald's is slightly more than minimum wage. I used to work there.

i was made redundant cos of covid so that's why i'm looking at new jobs lol:frown: i worked at mcdonalds for three shifts but i ended up quitting bc they were absolutely awful :biggrin:
even when you dont mention your grades on your cv they always ask at interviews and on the online applications rip

You don't have to tell the full truth in the interview or on the online application.
i was made redundant cos of covid so that's why i'm looking at new jobs lol:frown: i worked at mcdonalds for three shifts but i ended up quitting bc they were absolutely awful :biggrin:

I don't doubt that you were made redundant. You said the only places where you could get interviews were McDonald's and subway. If you want a job that much you take the job until you find something better.
What was so awful about McDonald's anyway?
yessss let's gang up on the 18 year old

No one is ganging up on you. We are just telling you the truth.
I don't doubt that you were made redundant. You said the only places where you could get interviews were McDonald's and subway. If you want a job that much you take the job until you find something better.
What was so awful about McDonald's anyway?

i wanted it as second job with max 15 hours a week which they said they were fine with, ended up giving me 45 hours. i tried talking to them about it but they completely ignored me- over email, phone, and in real life. i was quite nervous on the first day which is normal so i wasn't confident around all these new people, and the managers pointed it out and made fun of how shy i was infront of everyone, i remember standing in the staffroom being laughed at. and the male staff were absolutely disgusting, all the 40+ year olds on the first day touching me and making inappropriate comments, so i was like hell no and quit. they also ignored my emails saying i was quitting and just sent me a paycheck lmao. also the pay is below average for the amount of abuse you get from both the managers and customers. :frown:

only good thing that came out of it was free chicken nuggets.
Maybe the manager liked her application and wanted to give her some experience, especially in a time where it's hard to do that. She has at least 2 years before she goes to university. You have a few months. They don't want to hire someone again in September, I am sure.

I got rejected from 2 jobs before I went to university explicitly because of this. Plus, I have since worked in 2 retail stores, and honestly, candidate selection was so random. Great people were rejected, and some absolute idiots were given jobs. It happens. I'm sorry it's happened to you, but this isn't a rare occurrence.
Reply 51
i don't get why a 7 month contract is too short. :frown:

Because companies dont want to expend resources like manpower and money on advertising, recruiting and training to have to go through the whole process again in a few months time to get a replacement.
Original post by Mass8ge
"(Original post by sundayblues)

IKR omg, they have to pay extra to train people so why not just hire me and not spend the extra money.. also 16 year olds cant sell alcohol so like why would u hire them over someone who can :s-smilie:"

Perhaps people your age overuse "like" and inappropriately at that. While there's a hope that 16yo may be smarter than that.

It's all a joke, of course.
Best of luck! You'll find something else.

Tesco doesn't care about that
Any job is better than no job. At least until

The jobs no one wants to do pay the highest. Takes balls to work at maccas, I kinda respect them for doing what they have to do regardless of how a couple mugs will judge them. I've never even applied there. Plus with food experience, they can apply later to an upscale restaurant or bar 🍸
Reply 54
I'm 18 and my sister is 16. We both gave in our CVs to Tesco like a week ago. She got offered a job, I didn't. She is SIXTEEN - as in has no professional work experience whatsoever, has below average GCSE grades, and has no extracurriculars. I have EXPERIENCE IN A SUPERMARKET, 8s and 9s at GCSEs and A*A*A* at A-Levels, and I do so many extracurriculars.

Yet she got offered a job with like 30+ hours, and I got nothing. Am I being stupid or is this normal behaviour from these companies? She didn't even need to have an interview. They just rang her and said come in for an induction to start training. Like wth!!! I don't get life. I actually need a job so bad as I was laid off from my other job due to Covid, I think I'm going uni this year so I need money, I need to buy and insure a car, and I have bills to pay. She's literally got no bills or anything, she just wants money to buy clothes.

I probably sound like a right hag for moaning but it's just confusing me as to why she's the *perfect* candidate and I'm not. ;(

Ps. TESCO ISN'T MINIMUM WAGE WE WOULD BOTH GET THE SAME RATE ;(

All depends what job she applied for? You can’t do certain roles at Tesco (or other supermarkets) for that matter if you’re under 18, but you can if it’s just a replenishment role (as long as not Beers, Wines and Spirits) - You may just be unlucky but keep applying for other positions!!
Reply 55
i wanted it as second job with max 15 hours a week which they said they were fine with, ended up giving me 45 hours. i tried talking to them about it but they completely ignored me- over email, phone, and in real life. i was quite nervous on the first day which is normal so i wasn't confident around all these new people, and the managers pointed it out and made fun of how shy i was infront of everyone, i remember standing in the staffroom being laughed at. and the male staff were absolutely disgusting, all the 40+ year olds on the first day touching me and making inappropriate comments, so i was like hell no and quit. they also ignored my emails saying i was quitting and just sent me a paycheck lmao. also the pay is below average for the amount of abuse you get from both the managers and customers. :frown:

only good thing that came out of it was free chicken nuggets.

I take it that уou are female.
By all means, never allow to be treated that way. You should've recorded them, report them and then leave. Touching without consent, where you feel it was done with a sexual intention, is a crime.
You could also have a claim against the employer for abuse.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
The jobs no one wants to do pay the highest. Takes balls to work at maccas, I kinda respect them for doing what they have to do regardless of how a couple mugs will judge them. I've never even applied there. Plus with food experience, they can apply later to an upscale restaurant or bar 🍸

I agree.
Quite a few people turn their nose up at McDonald's, but a job is a job until you find something better. And you can go onto do bigger and better things. The franchisee who runs the store I work at and 15-20 others started at the bottom and worked her way up. Now she is loaded.
And I got paid more an hour at McDonald's than at the nursery I worked at (I did 2 jobs and was working at mcdonalds on Sundays for a while). Bearing in mind that the nursery work is actually more responsibility as you are looking after people's kids.
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
lol its nothing like you thinking.
they randomly pick people, they don't bother looking at your cv's at all.
i know from experience.

i agree
OP dont worry about it. get a job at Waitrose or something so they know what theyve missed out on lmao
I agree.
Quite a few people turn their nose up at McDonald's, but a job is a job until you find something better. And you can go onto do bigger and better things. The franchisee who runs the store I work at and 15-20 others started at the bottom and worked her way up. Now she is loaded.
And I got paid more an hour at McDonald's than at the nursery I worked at (I did 2 jobs and was working at mcdonalds on Sundays for a while). Bearing in mind that the nursery work is actually more responsibility as you are looking after people's kids.

Original post by vix.xvi
i agree
OP dont worry about it. get a job at Waitrose or something so they know what theyve missed out on lmao

I often find the more upscale a business is, sometimes the worse things are. Some companies, especially grocery and retail, acquire some much profit by being stingy with other expenses like salary. The snobbery and elitism is just from the bragging right of working at an expensive place. Not from the pay. Like Trump's workers keep striking against him lol yet he's one of the richest most famous hoteliers. Then Amazon workers boycott as well and go to the papers almost everyday for pay and holiday reasons. Yet...its Amazon. You'd think they would be better off at the world's richest company. Yet i have rarely heard anyone at McDonald's complain. Many of their workers are students or grateful for work. I really wish I had the walls tbh, my life would be much easier. Now I have intimidating work experience like full time office roles and uni experience and probs can't work there....

Oh ffs not "I wish I had the walls." it's I wish I had the BALLS lol
(edited 3 years ago)
*so much profit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending