A-level physics vector momentum help

Watch
Iehtesam
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
can someone help me out with question number 2.a in this: https://imgur.com/a/NBpiR6R
the solution is this: https://i.imgur.com/fANa0KN.jpg

couldn't understand the path the cue ball is meant to take and how it can be mathematically worked out
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iehtesam)
can someone help me out with question number 2.a in this: https://imgur.com/a/NBpiR6R
the solution is this: https://i.imgur.com/fANa0KN.jpg

couldn't understand the path the cue ball is meant to take and how it can be mathematically worked out
Have you studied conservation of linear momentum?
If yes, apply the conservation law to find the velocity of the cue ball.
Iehtesam
Rep:
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
Have you studied conservation of linear momentum?
If yes, apply the conservation law to find the velocity of the cue ball.
yes, i have. i also did calculate the velocity of the cue ball from the momentum before = momentum after method. what do you do afterwards? how can i find the direction it goes as it says in the solution?
Eimmanuel
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yes, i have. i also did calculate the velocity of the cue ball from the momentum before = momentum after method. what do you do afterwards? how can i find the direction it goes as it says in the solution?
Velocity is a vector, so it has both magnitude and direction.
Indeed, if you have calculated the velocity, you would have the answer.
Iehtesam
Rep:
Velocity is a vector, so it has both magnitude and direction.
Indeed, if you have calculated the velocity, you would have the answer.
from the solution:

"the cue balls velocity is virtually the same as the black ball"

the velocity i calculated for the cue ball is 1.76 m/s, where the velocity of the black ball is 4.24 m/s. it also says in the solution that the cue ball ends up in the bottom corner hole, and also that it's at a 45° downward trajectory, how did they find that? i basically want to know how i can mathematically confirm the cue balls trajectory into the bottom corner hole
Eimmanuel
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
from the solution:

"the cue balls velocity is virtually the same as the black ball"

the velocity i calculated for the cue ball is 1.76 m/s, where the velocity of the black ball is 4.24 m/s. it also says in the solution that the cue ball ends up in the bottom corner hole, and also that it's at a 45° downward trajectory, how did they find that? i basically want to know how i can mathematically confirm the cue balls trajectory into the bottom corner hole
How do you find the speed of the cue ball?

It would be good that you post your working.
Iehtesam
Rep:
How do you find the speed of the cue ball?

It would be good that you post your working.
with momentum before = momentum after
(.17x6) + (.17x0) = (.17xV) + (.17x4.24)
V=1.76 m/s
Eimmanuel
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
with momentum before = momentum after
(.17x6) + (.17x0) = (.17xV) + (.17x4.24)
V=1.76 m/s
First of all, note that momentum is a vector and the 0.17*6.00 is the linear momentum of the cue ball along the x-direction.

0.17*4.24 is the linear momentum of the black ball along north-east direction.

You need to apply the conservation of linear momentum along x- and y- direction independently to find the final speed of the cue ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BgxSagEito
Iehtesam
Rep:
First of all, note that momentum is a vector and the 0.17*6.00 is the linear momentum of the cue ball along the x-direction.

0.17*4.24 is the linear momentum of the black ball along north-east direction.

You need to apply the conservation of linear momentum along x- and y- direction independently to find the final speed of the cue ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BgxSagEito
couldn't thank you enough. you've saved my stupid life. i was contemplating my entire existence because of this one bloody question. finally got the bit I didn't know of quite well. thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed