The Student Room Group

UCAS Application: How do i get a reference as a mature student??

I'm 23 years old, already have a degree but wanting to study a second degree.

I'm wanting to know how to get a reference for UCAS? I'm looking to study Nursing.
Obviously i can't get my old school to provide a reference since it's been years.
I graduated from university in 2019 and my lecturers probably don't know me overly well, or even remember me. So i would feel a bit awkward having to ask one of them for a reference.
Can you ask an employer to provide a reference?
Original post by amcb1
I'm 23 years old, already have a degree but wanting to study a second degree.

I'm wanting to know how to get a reference for UCAS? I'm looking to study Nursing.
Obviously i can't get my old school to provide a reference since it's been years.
I graduated from university in 2019 and my lecturers probably don't know me overly well, or even remember me. So i would feel a bit awkward having to ask one of them for a reference.
Can you ask an employer to provide a reference?

The following page provides some info about professional references:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/mature-students/references-mature-students

However if you graduated in 2019 I suspect that uni’s will require an academic reference. You can contact them ahead of applying to check their requirements, but in my experience 2yrs is recent enough that they would still strongly prefer an academic ref. The requirements for the ref are not that demanding, (it’s not really a very important part of an undergrad application), usually a paragraph or so of endorsement is sufficient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending