AnAnnoyingKid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Currently I'm thinking of doing a computer science degree at uni, but I'm not completely sure yet,and am looking at what I want do for my A-level options. I've narrowed it down to 5 options, being Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science. I want to do 4 A-levels and was mainly looking to decide between Computer Science and Chemistry. I've heard that universties actually care more about Further Maths than Computer Science for a CompSci degree so would it be better to keep my options open with Chemistry or would not taking Computer Science put me at a significant disadvantage if I do stick with it for degree level?
Last edited by AnAnnoyingKid; 6 months ago
Fantastik-em
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well if you want to do computer science degree, a computer science A level would help you a lot with that since I searched google, I think there a no specific A levels I mean they didn’t specify if Computer science A level is required or not.
louisisntmafia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
chemistry will keep your options open to basically any natural science course alongside physics. however, the big caveats are 1. do you like chem enough to study it for 2 years and 2. can you do as well/better in chem then compsci a level? if i was you prioritise based off your potential grades rather then keeping options open as its more important to achieve higher grades then picking the right subject in this situation imo. also, doing maths further physics alone will allow you to do any quantitative uni course (maths, economics, compsci, engineering....) so your options are quite open already.

if you don't do computing a level though, you should definitely do lots of compsci extracurriculars to demonstrate your interest in the subject e.g. learn to code in python to an advanced level, give talks/create a compsci society at your school etc
Last edited by louisisntmafia; 6 months ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Why do you want to do 4 A levels? It's not impressive to do 4 and university admission teams will literally ignore anything more than 3. If it's because you're interested in many subjects, then just read and learn about it in your spare time. Doing something like that is much more impressive on a university application.

Probs makes the most sense to do Maths, FM and Physics OR Chemistry. If you find the maths content etc incredibly easy at A level, then maybe do a 4th in Comp Sci as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
27.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.33%
No I am happy with my choice (82)
56.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
6.94%

Watched Threads