HELP - Normal distribution question

Watch this thread
GogetaORvegito?
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Q: Students' scores in a particular test follow a normal distribution with a mean of 39 and a standard deviation of 5.
What percentage of a class should score between 34 and 44 marks?
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I did this in my calculator:
- lower bound = 34
- upper bound = 44
- standard deviation = 5
- mean = 39
I got 0.68268921, so I times my answer by 100 but when I put my answer in dr frost it's wrong? Maybe it's because I times it by 100 and put it in? I don't know what I did wrong
Last edited by GogetaORvegito?; 1 year ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GogetaORvegito?)
I did this in my calculator:
- lower bound = 34
- upper bound = 44
- standard deviation = 5
- mean = 39
I got 0.68268921, so I times my answer by 100 but when I put my answer in dr frost it's wrong? Maybe it's because I times it by 100 and put it in? I don't know what I did wrong
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/68%E...80%9399.7_rule
They're well known percemtages. What did you actually enter and what was the solutipn?
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/68%E...80%9399.7_rule
They're well known percemtages. What did you actually enter and what was the solutipn?
I put in my answer as 68.2 maybe that's why I got it wrong. I thought I had to times it by 100. I don't know what the actual solution is yet
Interea
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I put in my answer as 68.2 maybe that's why I got it wrong. I thought I had to times it by 100. I don't know what the actual solution is yet
Does the question specify a certain number of significant figures/decimal places?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Try 68?
You're basically right.
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
(Original post by Interea)
Does the question specify a certain number of significant figures/decimal places?
Name:  Screenshot (384).png
Views: 60
Size:  59.7 KB
This is all it says
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
Try 68?
You're basically right.
That's it! It was 68! Thanks!
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That's it! It was 68! Thanks!
Percentage sometimes means just the integer, but not necessarily always.
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
Percentage sometimes means just the integer, but not necessarily always.
Hey could you help me with another one while you're here?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey could you help me with another one while you're here?
Sure
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
Sure
Q: A speed camera is set up on a stretch of road where the speed limit is 50mph.

The speeds of vehicles passing the camera can be modelled by a normal distribution with a mean of 49mph and a standard deviation of 3.5mph.

What speed are the slowest 15% of vehicles travelling below?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Q: A speed camera is set up on a stretch of road where the speed limit is 50mph.

The speeds of vehicles passing the camera can be modelled by a normal distribution with a mean of 49mph and a standard deviation of 3.5mph.

What speed are the slowest 15% of vehicles travelling below?
So what do you think?
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
So what do you think?
So I did
upper: 15
lower = -10
standard deviation = 3.5
mean = 49
my answer is 1.3104x10^-22
I don't think this is right because I can't get the power sign.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
So I did
upper: 15
lower = -10
standard deviation = 3.5
mean = 49
my answer is 1.3104x10^-22
I don't think this is right because I can't get the power sign.
I've no idea what you're thinking?

First off, this is similar to the previous question- why?
Then what is the maths expression we want?
Then what are the magic numbers to stick into the calc?
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
I've no idea what you're thinking?

First off, this is similar to the previous question- why?
Then what is the maths expression we want?
Then what are the magic numbers to stick into the calc?
Oh is the expression actually X∼N(50<X<15) Then do 1 takeaway that?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Oh is the expression actually X∼N(50<X<15) Then do 1 takeaway that?
No. I still don't know what you're thinking. How is it similar to the previous question?
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
No. I still don't know what you're thinking. How is it similar to the previous question?
Is it that I have to find two values for z? I'm not sure
lilyryder
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
45.3mph (I think - it's 1 am here lol), use the inverse normal function to find the X value when the area is 0.15
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
(Original post by lilyryder)
45.3mph (I think - it's 1 am here lol), use the inverse normal function to find the X value when the area is 0.15
Oh wow we didn't even learn inverse normal function yet. I think this question was an accident if it is. I'll try this anyway thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
67.65%
In the post (4)
3.92%
Text (14)
13.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.71%

Watched Threads