The Student Room Group

Referencing "Freedom Writers" in Teaching/Educational Psychology Personal Statement?

Hi, I was wondering if it would be cliche or overdone if I mentioned the book/film "Freedom Writers" in my postgraduate personal statement?

It has influenced me directly (being a first-generation uni attended, and young caring responsibilities affecting my school life) and my influences into studying BSc Psychology. I am debating on going into primary teaching or educational psychology once I have graduated also due to this.

Should I reference it in my personal statement if I am able to relate it to the reasons why I wish to pursue further education in either of these areas? And how would I go about that?
It's not a book/film I'm familiar with, but I've quickly Googled it. You don't need to talk about what you want to do in your PS for the BSc, and if you do, you only need to mention it briefly and you don't need to justify why you want to do either of those things with a book/film.

It doesn't sound like the book/film is very psychological - what you talk about in your PS should be academic (so the sorts of things you will study), so it wouldn't add much to talk about it
Original post by Interrobang
It's not a book/film I'm familiar with, but I've quickly Googled it. You don't need to talk about what you want to do in your PS for the BSc, and if you do, you only need to mention it briefly and you don't need to justify why you want to do either of those things with a book/film.

It doesn't sound like the book/film is very psychological - what you talk about in your PS should be academic (so the sorts of things you will study), so it wouldn't add much to talk about it

It will be for a PGDE or MSc as I am currently doing my bachelors
Original post by TheBritishKoala
It will be for a PGDE or MSc as I am currently doing my bachelors

Same applies for those courses in terms of mentioning the book/film.

For the PGCE you should just focus on why teaching (not how you might have become interested in teaching). For the MSc (I'm guessing either the conversion course or a psychology masters) you should focus on the academic side of psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending