The Student Room Group

uni assignment

do we have to use PEEL paragraphs at uni?
Original post by sskeeeeeenggggg

Hiya @sskeeeeeenggggg,

I think point, evidence, explain, link is still a very good structure to follow for paragraphs in an assignment. However, at university I have found the biggest difference to be having to reference the ideas used, and to make sure you follow the title of the question (e.g. is it an evaluate, describe, critically discuss etc. question).

I always email my work to Student Support as they can look over your essays and give feedback on your argument, structure, grammar and spellings! They are a really useful service!

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hiya @sskeeeeeenggggg,

I think point, evidence, explain, link is still a very good structure to follow for paragraphs in an assignment. However, at university I have found the biggest difference to be having to reference the ideas used, and to make sure you follow the title of the question (e.g. is it an evaluate, describe, critically discuss etc. question).

I always email my work to Student Support as they can look over your essays and give feedback on your argument, structure, grammar and spellings! They are a really useful service!

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you so much Sam 😊
I’ve been using PEEDL since gcse. hasn’t failed me yet
Point, evidence, explain, develop, link to question
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sskeeeeeenggggg

I asked a Cambridge history tutor about this a couple of years ago. He said that they spend most of the first year trying to beat such prescriptive formulas out of their students.
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
make sure you follow the title of the question (e.g. is it an evaluate, describe, critically discuss etc. question).

I'm going to disagree here. I would say for pretty much any essay, you should always be critically evaluating at university level. I think these terms have special meanings at A level, but when I set an essay I use these terms quite interchangeably. But ask your lecturers to be sure.

Original post by ageshallnot
I asked a Cambridge history tutor about this a couple of years ago. He said that they spend most of the first year trying to beat such prescriptive formulas out of their students.

I quite agree!
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot

Yep. it's inelegant and can actually get in the way of a decent flow. But it's also true that it will do what you need it to, so no harm using whilst you further develop your writing style (a lot of students never bother to do this, unfortunately)
Original post by chazwomaq
I'm going to disagree here. I would say for pretty much any essay, you should always be critically evaluating at university level. I think these terms have special meanings at A level, but when I set an essay I use these terms quite interchangeably. But ask your lecturers to be sure.

I quite agree!

Original post by gjd800
Yep. it's inelegant and can actually get in the way of a decent flow. But it's also true that it will do what you need it to, so no harm using whilst you further develop your writing style (a lot of students never bother to do this, unfortunately)

I also asked him about the "you must have 3 arguments for and 3 arguments against" and "you need 2 primary sources and 3 secondary sources" or whatever, and his head almost exploded with rage and despair! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending