ChemBioPsych1335
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I want to do an EPQ, I kind of think the topic of geography isn’t spoken about much and I found it really interesting in high school so I want to do geography and if possible I want it to be blended in with law aswell.

If you know any topics with relate to law in geography please let me know!! Thanks
esimm003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ChemBioPsych1335)
So I want to do an EPQ, I kind of think the topic of geography isn’t spoken about much and I found it really interesting in high school so I want to do geography and if possible I want it to be blended in with law aswell.

If you know any topics with relate to law in geography please let me know!! Thanks
Hey,
Are you interested in Human or Physical Geog?

I'm currently doing it at A level and we're doing a unit on Global commons / Global governance, you may want to look into something along that line, maybe around the governance of Antarctica, and laws that could be proposed to protect it?

Alternatively, space Law could be an interesting one, as space is a global common... maybe looking at future colonisation of Mars, who owns it (resource management/exportation of minerals to earth)? and how might colonies be run? You could incorporate history and see if lessons are to be learned from the British empire (management of colonies wise)?

Hope this helps give you ideas

Ethan
CaitlinDeCat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Sounds like you want to do your EPQ on geopolitics.

- Ethiopian Dam and its effects on Egypt
- Corruption within South America and if its geography impacts this
- The politics of Japans energy crisis
- Climate politics, is global warming targets being used as an appeasement opportunity for China(this is quite complex tho)
- The potential impact of the Saharah desert travelling South
- Human rights dispute in eastern Europe and if the flat plain land contributes (quite an historic look on geography)
- Potential impacts of China taking over the US as the world's biggest economy before 2030
- Hong Kong as a strategic trade hub for the West moving forwards
- The importance of the Suez Canal, looking at who is really in charge of world trade
- The rise and fall of Zambia
- The impact of oil companies on African villages, false promises
- Would it be appropriate for first world countries to hinder 3rd world countries industrialisation in the name of climate change V the ethics of doing this
- How valuable has the UN been in preventing world conflict
- Climate change refugees in the Pacific (Kiribati)
- Rwanda becoming Africas Singapore
- Chinas influence on Africa
- Turkeys acts that make it a potential political hub of the future (Armenia V Azerbaijan war)

I could keep going but ill stop there aha.
I would suggest reading Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall,
Documentaries are also a very good way into topics like these to have a look around to see if you can find any.

Sorry current world affairs is kind of my thing so I could go on for days here
Esimm03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CaitlinDeCat)

- Climate politics, is global warming targets being used as an appeasement opportunity for China(this is quite complex tho)
- Human rights dispute in eastern Europe and if the flat plain land contributes (quite an historic look on geography)
- Potential impacts of China taking over the US as the world's biggest economy before 2030
- The importance of the Suez Canal, looking at who is really in charge of world trade
- Would it be appropriate for first world countries to hinder 3rd world countries industrialisation in the name of climate change V the ethics of doing this
- Turkeys acts that make it a potential political hub of the future (Armenia V Azerbaijan war)

Documentaries are also a very good way into topics like these to have a look around to see if you can find any.

I'd highly recommend the Ethiopian dam one... I was planning on doing that for my EPQ but couldn't as I was studying a level geog 🤦*♂️.

It's got lots of potential to talk about environmental, social or economic impacts...
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Esimm03)
I'd highly recommend the Ethiopian dam one... I was planning on doing that for my EPQ but couldn't as I was studying a level geog 🤦*♂️.

It's got lots of potential to talk about environmental, social or economic impacts...
Yea I do A level geography, I wonder what their justification was to why you couldn't do it. In my opinion, the geography syllabus is a little limiting when it comes to current affairs and solving problems. I wish they looked at the engineering implementations of building on a multi-hazard zone etc.

Its an interesting ethical debate too due to the benefits for Ethiopia and the all our war Egypt could end up in. Especially with the policy relating to who 'owns' the water and the failure to have meetings. Though China is backing Ethiopia so why would they stop the project with Chinas dominance in the world forever-growing.

I ended up doing my EPQ on water insecurity in Mexico City and looking at if there was a sustainable solution to there future (it was a mix of holistic ideas and engineering)
ChemBioPsych1335
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaitlinDeCat)

Those sound interesting thanks I appreciate those topic ideas I might need more help deciding
ChemBioPsych1335
Rep:
?
(Original post by Esimm03)

Help me then lol I do bio chemistry and psych so Yh I also think geo is so relevant but not many students and my sixth form talk about it they don’t even offer that a level at my sixth form lol. So I’ll do research on the Ethiopian Dam bc I have no idea what it is could u tell me a bit more about it please?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Geography topics
Teamwork on field trips
Extreme weather events and their effect on society
How people respond to natural disasters
Ways to hone geographical skills
Methods of recording and preventing extreme weather events
Features of the countryside
Careers in geography
A day in the life of a geographer
Geography and the media
Why geography is important
Different types of geography
Importance of learning it at school etc
Links with any other important subjects like history, maths and science for example
Geography is cool because.. feel free to use the suggestions above as fodder
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ChemBioPsych1335)
Help me then lol I do bio chemistry and psych so Yh I also think geo is so relevant but not many students and my sixth form talk about it they don’t even offer that a level at my sixth form lol. So I’ll do research on the Ethiopian Dam bc I have no idea what it is could u tell me a bit more about it please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UBsTXqAkdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFv3iCA7zM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYaYCklXCIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCY0SPOFpE

Watch these, you will understand
Last edited by CaitlinDeCat; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (78)
28.06%
England (93)
33.45%
Belgium (23)
8.27%
Germany (35)
12.59%
Spain (3)
1.08%