How many marks are needed to achieve a 4 in Foundation Maths GCSE?

Watch
xKayTea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm unsure about exam boards, the differences, and such.

My maths is terrible, so I have opted to take the foundation paper, how many marks would be needed to get a 4 on the foundation, or 5? If anyone has any resources that explain the marking scheme a bit more, the key differences between foundation and higher maths then I will gladly have a look and be very appreciative.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
See if you can find a tutor. I did the foundation level paper too. I only scraped by and picked up a grade one after all that. Foundation paper is easier supposedly but I struggled on the questions apart from the very easy ones which are targeted for the bottom ability pupils.
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by xKayTea)
I'm unsure about exam boards, the differences, and such.

My maths is terrible, so I have opted to take the foundation paper, how many marks would be needed to get a 4 on the foundation, or 5? If anyone has any resources that explain the marking scheme a bit more, the key differences between foundation and higher maths then I will gladly have a look and be very appreciative.
Obviously it changes year to year but in 2019 AQA Foundation Maths you needed 122/240 for a 4 and 157/240 for a 5. So that’s about 50% for a 4 and 65% for a 5.

Understanding the mark scheme is really simple... you do the working and get an answer and you’ll get the marks. You get marks for the right working so if you get the answer wrong you’ll still get marks assuming you’re on track.

The last question on Foundation is usually one of the first questions on Higher.
Last edited by linedpaper; 7 months ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It depends on the exam board and from exam season to exam season.

Edexcel is the most popular board and in November 2020 you needed 136/240 (57%) for a grade 4 and 165/240 (69%) for a grade 5. https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-maths-eng.pdf
xKayTea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Does anyone have any experience with the foundation GCSE? I have heard some people say it's easier to get a simple pass on the higher, whereas to achieve a 4 or 5 on the foundation for some silly reason it's 'harder'. Any insight on this to whether it's true or not would be helpful <3 I'm very grateful for the replies, and have taken them in and clicked every link that's been sent thank you.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Does anyone have any experience with the foundation GCSE? I have heard some people say it's easier to get a simple pass on the higher, whereas to achieve a 4 or 5 on the foundation for some silly reason it's 'harder'. Any insight on this to whether it's true or not would be helpful <3 I'm very grateful for the replies, and have taken them in and clicked every link that's been sent thank you.
If you're not that bad at Maths but make silly mistakes then Higher may be an option as you need so few marks to get a 4 - 37/240 or less than 15.5% in November 2020. The Foundation questions are easier but you need to get a lot more right.
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I didn't do foundation but it really is basic maths. So you do have to get a lot more right, but it's not complicated stuff. The Higher paper has many more topics and you don't know what's going to come up and whether you actually know the content. But it is far easier to get a 4 on AQA 2019 47/240 is nothing and you're looking at averaging 16 marks per paper.
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
This site helped me a lot with my autumn resit, I moved up a grade to a 7 and had been getting 5 in my mocks. You can watch videos and do questions on all the topics in Foundation and higher- if you choose higher then you can work on the grade 6 possibly a few of the easier grade 7 material so you'd be able to pick up more marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (1)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
22.22%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
44.44%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads