The Student Room Group

snapmaps

is it illegal if i found someones address by looking at their location on snapmaps (snapchat)?
Original post by Anonymous
is it illegal if i found someones address by looking at their location on snapmaps (snapchat)?

No but it’s seriously ****ing creepy
Original post by Anonymous

They have voluntarily shared their location
Original post by Zamestaneh
They have voluntarily shared their location

Not for stalkers to get their home address tho lol it’s more for friends to know where they’re on holiday
Original post by Lol101xoxo
Not for stalkers to get their home address tho lol it’s more for friends to know where they’re on holiday

Doesn't matter from a legal standpoint. One only breaks the law if their activity meets the vague legal criteria of stalking or harrassment as per various laws:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/stalking-and-harassment

Obviously as you said it could be considered creepy but that is always the risk of making your location public, adding randoms and so on, so they are at least in part responsible for creating avenues to their own disconfort or harm
Doesn't matter from a legal standpoint. One only breaks the law if their activity meets the vague legal criteria of stalking or harrassment as per various laws:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/stalking-and-harassment

Obviously as you said it could be considered creepy but that is always the risk of making your location public, adding randoms and so on, so they are at least in part responsible for creating avenues to their own disconfort or harm

1) if u know the legalities why r u asking?
2) if u know it’s creepy why do u keep creating excuses to justify the CREEPY behaviour
Just bc smth is not illegal DOES NOT mean it is not a bad thing to do!
U will cause the person ur stalking to be highly uncomfortable (if not already - do they knwo?) and a good person would never do that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lol101xoxo
1) if u know the legalities why r u asking?
2) if u know it’s creepy why do u keep creating excuses to justify the CREEPY behaviour
Just bc smth is not illegal DOES NOT mean it is a right thing to do
U will cause the person ur stalking to be highly uncomfortable (if not already - do they knwo?) and a good person would never do that.

I didn't ask anything - I am not the OP

I am mot creating excuses but I just think people are stupid nowadays and lack a sense of responsibility as if the world should conform to them, when in reality life is ugly and not so keen on bending to the whims of the carefree
I didn't ask anything - I am not the OP

I am mot creating excuses but I just think people are stupid nowadays and lack a sense of responsibility as if the world should conform to them, when in reality life is ugly and not so keen on bending to the whims of the carefree

Lol didn’t realise ur not the OP

Also ok great but ur just giving a reason for this person to possibly do smth pretty grim...
Reply 8
That is a very, very creepy thing to do. Whether its illegal or not, you shouldnt.
regardless if it is illegal or not what you are doing is well creepy
why would you even do that?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply