hobsdibs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey, I'm doing practice questions and I've stumbled across one that I'm not sure how to answer.

Mosses are small plants with no true roots. Each plant is anchored by simple root-like structures which do not contain vascular tissue.

The leaves of moss plants are usually one cell thick and are attached to a thin stem. Neither the leaves nor stem contain vascular tissue.

Although a moss plant has no vascular tissue, water still moves through the plant from the root-like structures to the leaves.

Use your knowledge of the mechanisms of water transport to explain the movement of water through the moss plant.

I know that the answer should include the methods of water transport such as symplast, apoplast, and vacuolar but I'm not sure how to structure and actually answer the question. Also, I cannot find the mark scheme online for this question anywhere. Thank you!
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hobsdibs)
Hey, I'm doing practice questions and I've stumbled across one that I'm not sure how to answer.

Mosses are small plants with no true roots. Each plant is anchored by simple root-like structures which do not contain vascular tissue.

The leaves of moss plants are usually one cell thick and are attached to a thin stem. Neither the leaves nor stem contain vascular tissue.

Although a moss plant has no vascular tissue, water still moves through the plant from the root-like structures to the leaves.

Use your knowledge of the mechanisms of water transport to explain the movement of water through the moss plant.

I know that the answer should include the methods of water transport such as symplast, apoplast, and vacuolar but I'm not sure how to structure and actually answer the question. Also, I cannot find the mark scheme online for this question anywhere. Thank you!
im not sure what your problem is? you have rightly identified symplastic and apoplastic pathways, in which water can either move through the cell or on the cell wall. All you need to do Is describe those pathways in relation to the moss. How many marks is the question?
hobsdibs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by CJField)
im not sure what your problem is? you have rightly identified symplastic and apoplastic pathways, in which water can either move through the cell or on the cell wall. All you need to do Is describe those pathways in relation to the moss. How many marks is the question?
The question is 4 marks. I'm not exactly sure how to apply it to the pathways in relation to the moss; do I simply state that water is able to travel through the cell or the cell wall? The only idea I have is the the leaves are one cell thick meaning water is able to travel quickly to all the leaf cells using the symplast/apoplast pathways but I'm not sure if it's correct
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hobsdibs)
The question is 4 marks. I'm not exactly sure how to apply it to the pathways in relation to the moss; do I simply state that water is able to travel through the cell or the cell wall? The only idea I have is the the leaves are one cell thick meaning water is able to travel quickly to all the leaf cells using the symplast/apoplast pathways but I'm not sure if it's correct
yeh so talk about a water potential gradient which causes water to be draw into the moss by osmosis. There may also be a pressure gradient. The water can either travel down this gradient via diffusion through the cytoplasm, or via diffusion across the cell wall (its only osmosis if it goes through a partially permeable membrane).
I feel like this question is asking for more of a description, rather than showing how it is adapted.... have any of your classmates attempted it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (94)
38.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.46%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7%

Watched Threads