The Student Room Group

Can I get sacked from my job?

I am a shop manager and I gave a former employee a job reference over the phone. I accidentally gave the wrong employment dates as I thought she started in 2018 but it was actually 2019. We aren't allowed to give references out - they are supposed to be given by the area manager or HR. How likely is it that my workplace will find out about this and could I get sacked? I'm really worried!
Reply 1
Mistakes happen, so you can always email the company that the former employee applied to and correct the mistake.

Regarding the policy that you aren't allowed to give references, well yeah, in theory they could sack you. I think they would probably give you a warning if they found out. The policy sounds a bit odd to me - maybe they want to check the reference to ensure that it does not give out any confidential information?
Reply 2
I'm highly doubting they'll fire someone in your position over a simple mistake. There is a slim chance that they find out but if you got the call then that means that you were written under the reference so you would of been asked anyways right?
I don't think they will find out. Especially if it was verbal and there is nothing written by you or signed by you.
If they did, I doubt you would get sacked, especially if you have never done anything wrong before. I'd imagine you would just ger warning or something.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending