The Student Room Group

Random error in titration

Hey everyone !

I have a chemistry titration assignment that I've been stuck on for days (bare in mind my class has never been able to go on campus yet and so have never actually done a titration). I've calculated my random error and I have a percentage that's negative. I've been over my whole calculations over and over again and cannot get any other answers other than a minus percentage. Is this right? Are random errors supposed to be given in percentages, and what would reasons be for it being negative?
Reply 1
Do you mean apparatus errors? or measurement errors? I thought random errors were just mistakes made during your practical? Can you give a few more details of your expt please.
Reply 2
Original post by scimus63
Do you mean apparatus errors? or measurement errors? I thought random errors were just mistakes made during your practical? Can you give a few more details of your expt please.

The whole question is very long and awful and I've definitely gone wrong somewhere haha. We've been asked to calculate the equipment error, which I've done (as a %), then the total apparatus error, which I've done by adding both equipment errors together, again, getting a percentage. Then the random error, which we've been told to work out by using our %difference of two values from earlier in the Q, minus the total apparatus error.

Random error = % difference total apparatus error

= 0.003% - 1.29%

= -1.287%

I mean, to me, that just doesn't look right. But I've followed every step as it's told me to

Quick Reply

Latest