jb2453
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm currently working as a Paralegal at an international law firm (I've already completed the LPC) and they are offering to sponsor me to do CILEX to qualify as a Solicitor through that route, so i'd basically need to complete a Portfolio and then the PSC.

However, I am just wondering whether to go down that route or do the SQE. With the SQE i'll have to fund myself (which I can afford but it is a lot of money) and I believe it's just one exam if you've already completed the LPC.

My question basically is with the SQE do you still only qualify in a certain area of Law like CILEX? I'm not sure which route to go with, as if I would only qualify in a certain area for both it may be best to go down the CILEX route if they are sponsoring..

What are your thoughts?

Sorry if anything sounded silly, i'm not yet too familiar with all things regarding the SQE.

I definitely plan on researching both options in further detail but wanted to see if anyone else here was more clued up and could provide their thoughts.

I've applied for a TC at the firm i'm working at - so if I am unsuccessful I am planning on taking one of the above routes.
Last edited by jb2453; 1 month ago
aspiringlawyerrr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

You may have seen this already, but here's a link to SRA's route to admission through CILEX: https://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/admi...al-executives/. There may be other requirements if you choose to qualify after 1 September 2021, which is when the SQE starts. I am from a CILEX route, and currently a Graduate member (so not fully qualified CILEX lawyer i.e. Fellow member) and I am applying for TCs. This is because although CILEX is good, and it allows to diversify the legal market, in my view, CILEX qualified lawyers are paid less than solicitors even after qualifying. It is also rare, although it happens, for CILEX lawyers to become partners in international/City law firms. I would suggest doing the SQE route than CILEX - if this is important to you.

I am very much hoping to get a TC and then proceed to do the SQE.
jb2453
Rep:
?
(Original post by aspiringlawyerrr)
Hi

You may have seen this already, but here's a link to SRA's route to admission through CILEX: https://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/admi...al-executives/. There may be other requirements if you choose to qualify after 1 September 2021, which is when the SQE starts. I am from a CILEX route, and currently a Graduate member (so not fully qualified CILEX lawyer i.e. Fellow member) and I am applying for TCs. This is because although CILEX is good, and it allows to diversify the legal market, in my view, CILEX qualified lawyers are paid less than solicitors even after qualifying. It is also rare, although it happens, for CILEX lawyers to become partners in international/City law firms. I would suggest doing the SQE route than CILEX - if this is important to you.

I am very much hoping to get a TC and then proceed to do the SQE.
Thank you for your response!

A big thing i'm worried about is if there is a pay difference at all! I'm applying for TC's in the meantime, I'm really hoping I get one at the firm i'm working at as it is my dream firm. This is kind of a factor why I am really considering CILEX as I would like to stay here longterm.

I'm definitely considering the SQE too! With the SQE do you still only qualify in a certain area?
aspiringlawyerrr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jb2453)
Thank you for your response!

A big thing i'm worried about is if there is a pay difference at all! I'm applying for TC's in the meantime, I'm really hoping I get one at the firm i'm working at as it is my dream firm. This is kind of a factor why I am really considering CILEX as I would like to stay here longterm.

I'm definitely considering the SQE too! With the SQE do you still only qualify in a certain area?
Hi

I don't know if you have instagram but Rob from the Legally speaking podcast is speaking to a CILEX person regarding the SQE live on instagram live at 6pm on Monday. His instagram is rob_law_kc. I will definitely tune in!
jb2453
Rep:
?
(Original post by aspiringlawyerrr)
Hi

I don't know if you have instagram but Rob from the Legally speaking podcast is speaking to a CILEX person regarding the SQE live on instagram live at 6pm on Monday. His instagram is rob_law_kc. I will definitely tune in!
Thank you, appreciate you letting me know! I'll check it out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.7%
Virtual campus tours/open days (114)
23.36%
Live streaming events (44)
9.02%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (47)
9.63%
A uni comparison tool (111)
22.75%
An in-person event when available (110)
22.54%