Vangraanlo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good evening,

I'm originally from South Africa and have moved to the United Kingdom in 2013 with my mother who is an EU. Due to the current situation with brexit, my mother has to apply to the eu settlement scheme and have decided to apply for me and my brother as well as we are family members of an EU. However, mine and my brothers south african passports and biometric residence cards are expired so we are in the process of reapplying however because of covid and the national lockdown within England it is incredibly hard to get an appointment at the south african embassy to carry on with the process.

I am in the process of applying to university and so far 4 of my choices have identified me as an international student however they stated that they will change this if I have my 'settled status' before the 1st of September 2021. However because of the national lockdown and covid in general im very worried that I may not get ny settled status in time and will labelled a international student although it doesn't make any sense to me as to why.

Can someone please explain to me what would happen if I do get classified as an international student? I understand that tuition fees would be higher.

Will I still be entitled to government loans such as student loans for my tuition fees and maintenance loan since I have lived in the UK continuously for 7 years, full-time education, I have a bank account and national insurance number...

Thanks in advance
mi.len
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vangraanlo)
Good evening,

I'm originally from South Africa and have moved to the United Kingdom in 2013 with my mother who is an EU. Due to the current situation with brexit, my mother has to apply to the eu settlement scheme and have decided to apply for me and my brother as well as we are family members of an EU. However, mine and my brothers south african passports and biometric residence cards are expired so we are in the process of reapplying however because of covid and the national lockdown within England it is incredibly hard to get an appointment at the south african embassy to carry on with the process.

I am in the process of applying to university and so far 4 of my choices have identified me as an international student however they stated that they will change this if I have my 'settled status' before the 1st of September 2021. However because of the national lockdown and covid in general im very worried that I may not get ny settled status in time and will labelled a international student although it doesn't make any sense to me as to why.

Can someone please explain to me what would happen if I do get classified as an international student? I understand that tuition fees would be higher.

Will I still be entitled to government loans such as student loans for my tuition fees and maintenance loan since I have lived in the UK continuously for 7 years, full-time education, I have a bank account and national insurance number...

Thanks in advance
If you don’t get settled status and are classified as an international student I’m 99% sure you won’t qualify for student loans just because the transition period for brexit would’ve already passed for student loans. I think the amount of time you have lived here is irrelevant because you don’t have British citizenship. I would apply as soon as you’re able to if you aren’t already in the process of getting settled status to avoid complications later on.
Peace24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Vangraanlo)
Good evening,

Thanks in advance
Hi were you able to get a loan somewhere?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%