CarterParry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey all. recently a fellow class mates work have been becoming very similar to mine. We all share our work in an open space, and I have noticed since we have published our documents, his have been changing including the design to a very similar product. Parts of the text and a fair few of the dimensions are identical. What can I do as I want to make my design stand out, as I am aiming very high in this subject (9's). Any advice??
ONatusch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,

From my personal experience, choose a design movement that is completely out there and different from the standard. My project was achieved A* (pre-number GCSEs) and my exam was A* too, and I used the Danish Modern Movement as design inspiration rather than the typical art Deco or Nouveau. If you are genuinely concerned with someone using your design, bring it up with your teacher as it is an issue with integrity.

Feel free to fire me any questions!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
think outside of the box in other words
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would distance yourself from this individual, no matter what designs you come up with it seems like they will 'take inspiration' from it and then you are back to square one.
Plagiarism is a serious matter and even though they seem to be copying from you there is no way to prove to an examiner you havent copied from them. Although its nice to help people out ultimately this is your qualification and you need to put yourself first.
Be more careful about sharing your designs, often products made in a school environment will be quite similar if you are working towards a similar brief with similar materials and equipment available to you, they shouldnt be so similar that dimensions are exact between the two.
You're never going to create something totally original in a GCSE environment (hell even in a professional environment truly unique products are few and far between) but you dont need to. You just have to add a value to something that already exists and this value will be your unique selling point compared to other things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
12.61%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (75)
63.03%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
11.76%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (12)
10.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.52%

Watched Threads