Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m in my first year studying medical science and I have four modules. 1 of which is a chemistry module. I don’t understand any of it so I have skipped every chemistry lecture and seminar since the start of term. The content just brings me to tears.

I’m confident in all my other modules but chemistry. I don’t have any friends to ask for help as the course has been fully online since it began and I don’t have any other support. I’ve tried to get my head round it but I don’t understand any of it.

I feel like giving up my degree over this module.

What would you do in my situation?
Fox Hound
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m in my first year studying medical science and I have four modules. 1 of which is a chemistry module. I don’t understand any of it so I have skipped every chemistry lecture and seminar since the start of term. The content just brings me to tears.

I’m confident in all my other modules but chemistry. I don’t have any friends to ask for help as the course has been fully online since it began and I don’t have any other support. I’ve tried to get my head round it but I don’t understand any of it.

I feel like giving up my degree over this module.

What would you do in my situation?
I think you're definitely capable of doing this module by the fact that your in uni in the first place and are fine with the other modules. Also, it's completely normal to have an area where you're weak, everyone has a weakness like this.

I think it's important that you get a good grasp of the all the early content of the module, as things are usually expanded on in later weeks, meaning you won't understand without understanding the prior content. Why don't you ask someone in your family if they can spend some time with you to see if they can explain the basics to you, it's possible that they may be able to explain things to you in an easy to understand way, try showing them the slides. Once you've got a grasp of the basics, you should be okay to continue yourself. If that doesn't work could you try and get a tutor to explain things to you instead? Maybe you could do it over a zoom call where you send them the slides and they explain everything to you.

If all else fails, I would speak to your uni tutor who might be able to offer you some help. I hope you pass this module, good luck!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Fox Hound)
I think you're definitely capable of doing this module by the fact that your in uni in the first place and are fine with the other modules. Also, it's completely normal to have an area where you're weak, everyone has a weakness like this.

I think it's important that you get a good grasp of the all the early content of the module, as things are usually expanded on in later weeks, meaning you won't understand without understanding the prior content. Why don't you ask someone in your family if they can spend some time with you to see if they can explain the basics to you, it's possible that they may be able to explain things to you in an easy to understand way, try showing them the slides. Once you've got a grasp of the basics, you should be okay to continue yourself. If that doesn't work could you try and get a tutor to explain things to you instead? Maybe you could do it over a zoom call where you send them the slides and they explain everything to you.

If all else fails, I would speak to your uni tutor who might be able to offer you some help. I hope you pass this module, good luck!
I took your advice and found myself a chemistry tutor who is willing to start sessions today. I hope I pass this module too.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.07%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (20)
16.26%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (16)
13.01%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
30.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
19.51%

Watched Threads