The Student Room Group

Moving to Italy from the UK

Hi All!

I'm looking to move to Italy from the UK (I'm a British Citizen) around June this year. I know what I need to do (just not the order in which to do them :P) thanks to this doc but I thought I'd ask around and see if any of you travelling people out there have any advice on moving to another country?

Whether it be visa related, residence applications, transporting possessions or learning the language I'm interested :smile:

Stay happy and healthy!
Reply 1
Be prepared to learn Italian qickly, otherwise your everyday life will be very difficult.
Original post by The Bad Doctor
The UK is already full, please stay where you are... That might be offensive, but it is true.

Oh dear.
Didn't even manage to read the thread title correctly.
Original post by mnot
Oh dear.
Didn't even manage to read the thread title correctly.

Opps.. My bad!
No offence intended.
Regarding language learning, full immersion is the only way to learn the language quickly. Make as many Italian friends as you can, talk constantly, engage in conversation with everyone who wants to speak to you etc. You should learn some Italian before going too.
I wish I could do the same btw I'm very jealous:redface:
Original post by The Bad Doctor
Opps.. My bad!
No offence intended.

No prob, waiting for the counterpart Italian TSR ultranationalist, xenophobic user to let them know that Italy is already full and should just stay where they are.
Original post by SpockAndRand
No prob, waiting for the counterpart Italian TSR ultranationalist, xenophobic user to let them know that Italy is already full and should just stay where they are.

Who's that?
Original post by chloenix
Who's that?

I don't know, shouldn't TSR have one? :biggrin:
They actually have food standards in italy, be prepared to kiss 90-95% of the **** you can buy in a Costcutters goodbye
They're very picky about coffee.
Reply 10
Original post by M_Davies
Hi All!

I'm looking to move to Italy from the UK (I'm a British Citizen) around June this year. I know what I need to do (just not the order in which to do them :P) thanks to this doc but I thought I'd ask around and see if any of you travelling people out there have any advice on moving to another country?

Whether it be visa related, residence applications, transporting possessions or learning the language I'm interested :smile:

Stay happy and healthy!

What do you intend to do while there and which part of Italy do you have in mind?

I would look at the current restrictions on travel to Italy. They are in force until March but I suspect that they will be extended and I am really not sure that you will be allowed to travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy#visas-and-residency
Reply 11
Original post by Kerzen
What do you intend to do while there and which part of Italy do you have in mind?

I would look at the current restrictions on travel to Italy. They are in force until March but I suspect that they will be extended and I am really not sure that you will be allowed to travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-italy#visas-and-residency

Hopefully to work but I'm equally happy to just go there on an extended visiting visa and work as a freelancer. It would be near Milan.
Hi All!

Stay happy and healthy!

Hey there!
Before I start all imma say is ur so lucky! I wish I could go to live in Italy but i have to stay in the UK cus of GCSES and stuff.
I would say make sure you know the basics of Italian at least before moving there.
Also, try and maybe watch some youtube videos on life in Italy and stuff. Which town are you intending in living in? If you haven't decided I would suggest Sorrento - I've been there like so many times and its just really nice there. the locals are very friendly and the vibe of that town is just really nice and a lot of people speak English there which is really helpful cus when i first went to Italy i only knew basic Italian and my parents knew no Italian but cus the locals spoke English a lot it was easier for us to communicate :biggrin:
I would also suggest Milan - beautiful just beautiful and such a lovely community!
I'll come back to this and add some more to it later. But for now I hope this helps lovely :hugs:
Zara xxx
Hi All!

Stay happy and healthy!

Whereabouts in Italy? I'm Italian I can maybe give you some insight into where you are going. There's a big difference between the North and the South. As for the language, if you know Spanish it will be fairly easy. My mum came here not even knowing how to say hi. Try and watch a tv series or something. Though beware some are in dialect! One piece of advice: don't eat pineapple on pizza in front of an Italian 😂. If you have any questions that are culture related, you can ask me I'll probably know the answer

Quick Reply

Latest