Lunix10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I have read through the RAF service T&C's and have stumbled upon a section regarding career breaks (available after 3 years post phase 2 training).

I was wondering if any currently serving (or past) serving personnel had experience with career breaks? For someone in their 20's, who would like to stay in the RAF for the majority of his career, it is a very encouraging to see that these are available within service.

If, for example, I was to serve 4 years and then opted for a 3-6 month career break (for travel purposes) - would this be looked at positively by the armed forces? As I say, I would still be in my 20s and the prospect of being able to temporarily 'pause' my career to do a bit of travelling is exciting.

Furthermore, does the policy/flexibility vary between commissioned/non-comissioned ranks?

Again, if you've had experience with this or know a bit more about this than is listed in the T&C's, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.
Last edited by Lunix10; 1 month ago
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lunix10)
Hello,

I have read through the RAF service T&C's and have stumbled upon a section regarding career breaks (available after 3 years post phase 2 training).

I was wondering if any currently serving (or past) serving personnel had experience with career breaks? For someone in their 20's, who would like to stay in the RAF for the majority of his career, it is a very encouraging to see that these are available within service.

If, for example, I was to serve 4 years and then opted for a 3-6 month career break (for travel purposes) - would this be looked at positively by the armed forces? As I say, I would still be in my 20s and the prospect of being able to temporarily 'pause' my career to do a bit of travelling is exciting.

Furthermore, does the policy/flexibility vary between commissioned/non-comissioned ranks?

Again, if you've had experience with this or know a bit more about this than is listed in the T&C's, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.
I think it largely depends on what you want out of life.

Like any career there is progression and development which will allow to to rise up through the ranks and professional competencies as your cumulative experience in the job grows. Combine this with the fact that you'll be in competition with your peers for either promotion or desirable postings, you can see that by interrupting your career for a long holiday might not be looked upon by your career manager (the person in charge of deciding who among your peers does does what job in your field, and racking and stacking people for promotion) who would also have to sign off on it, especially as you would possibly have only just finished your first every posting after training and be relatively new and inexperienced.

That said, it's in the rules that you can. You just need to think carefully as to whether it's a good idea long-term.
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Schleigg, I confess I did smile when I read about the new touchy feely policies that the RAF were introducing as part of the offer. In particular, I wondered how this 'progressive ' initiative would work within a military career framework, especially in regard to promotion, pay (Inc pensions), postings, detachments and currency.

it sounds like a great idea in principle, difficult to implement in practice and therefore nothing more than a gimmick. I think sometimes people forget that a military career is an immersive lifestyle change, which has benefits and challenges. If you crave the freedoms of civvy street, don't join, I'm not sure it's possible to have your cake and eat it. Most people have a brilliant time in the military and don't want to leave the life. You won't find the same social, sporting and personal development opportunities in many civvy careers (while on full pay).

Having said that, I really enjoy the freedom outside the wire, being able to choose what I do and when. But, having completed a full service career, I think I've earned it.
Lunix10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you both for your answers - they have been very helpful.
Theuser12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know people who have taken career breaks to go travelling. In the ranks, there is a chance that this could hold you back in terms of career progression; after all, if you are away from the workplace for a long period, how can you be reported on when compared with your peers?

That said, the RAF as a career will definitely be changing. You can already serve part-time (3 days a week), for example. There are talks of a ‘zig-zag’ career path, where you ‘dip in and out’ of the RAF by undertaking placements in industry from time to time. How these initiatives will affect the reporting processes remains to be seen.

Either way, if it is something you wanted to do and you were eligible, then why not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (29)
24.58%
Unhappy (35)
29.66%
Conflicted (54)
45.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed