Turn on thread page Beta

Polo anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Check your PM's Blush Babe. I've sent you as much info as I know.

Have you ever tried Pololacrosse rather than normal Lacrosse? It's basically Lacrosse on horseback and looks like great fun! Never tried it myself, but there's a club fairly local to me (bout 45mins away I think!) so I might arrange a few lessons there next summer on a schoolmaster and learn the ropes and then try and see if my horse enjoys it (he's only 15.1hh so is a suitable height and he always use to love gymhkhana's so I don't think he'd be afraid of a stick swinging around his head!).
    I think that's much more difficult than polo. You know, ball in air...
    Anyway thanx so much bout ur pm and if i ever get to oxford, I'll inspire other girls to form a team, or I can play with boys in their practices...not likely though :idea: (I'm very competitive...might scare ickle boys away but I'm not so mad with girls...).

Helenia, I don't think I will be paying 4 anythin on the net. But I can appreciat urs all the same .

MRLX69, What rumours? That the male species have icky breathe or is there something i should know :stupido:? (I will not NikNak's answer as reliable seeing how easily (s)he manipulates my trusting nature ).

Water Polo's OK but nothing like the real Polo .

BB

ReputationRep:
    For those of u who dont know what polo is go to this site (I'm shocked at the number of my poll :eek: ):

http://polonews.com/basics/

Or to http://www.polonews.com/sitemap/messages/969/969.html fo any other questions.

You are allowed to post links right? Or is there a new rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    Just how popular is Polo at Cambridge or at other unis? Are matches between its Colleges or other unis? Do their colleges even have stables? I've tried Polo only once but if my future college/uni doesn't have a club, I definitely want to set up one if possible. I luv Polo .

BB
    There's a Cambridge Uni Polo club, but no colleges have polo clubs that I'm aware of. The uni club has some of its own ponies, but they seem to be quite far away, my friend who plays polo and looks after them has a car to get to them but apparently it's just about cycleable(sp?) if necessary. I seem to recall you have to pay somewhere in the region of 130£ upfront for insurance and then it's somewhere of the order of 15 for a lesson. They certainly play varsity matches so I assume Ox has a few teams , they also play some other private clubs too.
    They seem to have varying levels of play, so even as a beginner you'd probably get a game or two in a year. It does seem expensive and doesn't seem to get you a whole lot, but if you love horseys they seem to let you take them on hacks and it was cheaper than riding club during my first year.

I'm pretty sure they'll have a stall in the freshers fair, because I remember my friend having to man one. You'll be able to get more info there.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    There's a Cambridge Uni Polo club, but no colleges have polo clubs that I'm aware of. The uni club has some of its own ponies, but they seem to be quite far away, my friend who plays polo and looks after them has a car to get to them but apparently it's just about cycleable(sp?) if necessary. I seem to recall you have to pay somewhere in the region of 130£ upfront for insurance and then it's somewhere of the order of 15 for a lesson. They certainly play varsity matches so I assume Ox has a few teams , they also play some other private clubs too.
    They seem to have varying levels of play, so even as a beginner you'd probably get a game or two in a year. It does seem expensive and doesn't seem to get you a whole lot, but if you love horseys they seem to let you take them on hacks and it was cheaper than riding club during my first year.

I'm pretty sure they'll have a stall in the freshers fair, because I remember my friend having to man one. You'll be able to get more info there.

Alaric.
    Cheers Alaric. Was it difficult for him to handle the stall?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.