Bad home environment for online learning?

Watch
camcole44
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I don't have a desk and share a box room with my sister who is also learning from home (A-level). I usually work on my parents' bed as it's the only place in my house that is remotely quiet. It is very uncomfortable and hurts my back. My family do not wake up until late in the day and my dogs are very noisy in the mornings, so I can't do work until one of my family decides to wake up and look after the dogs. It is incredibly frustrating because I feel like I have to plan my day around this. I am very worried because I have another 5 months of uni left. I might start going to my local library if it's open but I am just upset.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by camcole44)
I don't have a desk and share a box room with my sister who is also learning from home (A-level). I usually work on my parents' bed as it's the only place in my house that is remotely quiet. It is very uncomfortable and hurts my back. My family do not wake up until late in the day and my dogs are very noisy in the mornings, so I can't do work until one of my family decides to wake up and look after the dogs. It is incredibly frustrating because I feel like I have to plan my day around this. I am very worried because I have another 5 months of uni left. I might start going to my local library if it's open but I am just upset.
Could you move in with a friend or family member who might have more space?
Do you have a room in halls/uni house that you could go back to? That's allowed even under lockdown if you don't have a suitable study space.
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I feel you, I've been working on my bed since I don't have a desk (or room for one) in my bedroom and my back hurts so much. Plus with my sister and my dad also using video-calls for school/ work it can get pretty noisy, I really hope the schools return after February half-term because it's hard to be motivated when you haven't got space to think.

I'm gonna order a foldable desk on amazon and see if there's a folding chair too, hopefully these will fit in my room (you could try this too if sharing the desk with your sister isn't giving you much room). One thing I recommend for the noise is to listen to music without words in (so like lo-fi study beats sort of thing, personally I listen to marshmello Joytime III) as its still noise but its easier to concentrate. Maybe noise cancelling headphones/ earplugs could help too?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I totally get this. I was in my final year of uni when covid first started and i was 1 of 6 people who were home everyday. I shared a small dining room table with my sister as we both had to do online learning and my bedroom was too small to put have a study space.

I dont know what your situation is - maybe you’re working class like me or just have a big family - but i had to make do with what i had. I respectfully asked my family to respect my study space, i woke up earlier and slept later to make sure i got enough hours in. But now things are opening up, perhaps you could go to uni library. I spent most weekends in there when i was writing my dissertation (before covid) and I graduated with a good grade.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get some over ear headphones and go to the library.

Routine is really helpful, and if you can get to the library the same time every day then you can make it work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads