The Student Room Group

[deleted]

[deleted]
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by san_cisco
Covid has been really rough on all of us so I know I'm not alone. I do lament though over how I am about to miss out on most of my first year at uni, in terms of socializing. I have a medical condition and my parents didn't want me to be at uni 5 hours away in case something happened to me and they weren't close enough. I've been given a vaccine ticket for Covid so I was hoping to go there this term but now we have lockdown and only med students are allowed on campus. By the time lockdown is over, there will only be a few weeks left and I've already been given a full rent rebate.

I don't really know anyone on my course, even the Whatsapp group conversations are about things that happened on campus or just work. All the online 'socials' are sparsely attended. I just wanna cry all the time. It hurts even more when I see people talking about how they've already chosen flatmates for last year. My student loans, sit, unused in my back account. I've half a mind to just give it all back sometimes.

Hopefully, I can at least attend in the summer term, although it will be exam season. I just wish they'd started lockdown three weeks earlier.

I guess I'm just venting. Next year my workload will be higher, I'm not sure I will ever have the chance to make up what I've missed. I often don't even want to attend seminars because it will just be a sea of black screens and limited conversation.

On the bright-side, I'm getting decent grades, grades I didn't expect. Always a silver lining I suppose.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

A large proportion of the student population are feeling much the same. From first years missing out on freshers, art students not getting into studios, second years seeing another year of their uni messed up, to final year folk seeing their uni time end in a big anticlimax. And there's plenty who aren't getting much by way of rent reductions, even if they can't live in the accommodation. And all the interaction has just turned into more screen time.
But plenty have it harder. Jobs lost, businesses folded, and many ill and dying.
So it's a crap time for everyone. Let's hope the vaccine gets us back to some sort of normal life in the next few months....

Quick Reply

Latest