The Student Room Group

Help with criminology assessment plaeseeeeeee! :(

I have been given a criminology assignment for uni that I am struggling with. I am unsure how to come about planning it and what to include for the best grade I can get. This the question:

How do the ideas of American new deviancy theorists (E.Sutherland and Matza) inspire and inform the work of British sociologists of deviance associated with the National Deviancy Conferences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated x
Original post by Yas_Hearn
I have been given a criminology assignment for uni that I am struggling with. I am unsure how to come about planning it and what to include for the best grade I can get. This the question:

How do the ideas of American new deviancy theorists (E.Sutherland and Matza) inspire and inform the work of British sociologists of deviance associated with the National Deviancy Conferences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated x

Hi!

I'm in my 3rd year of studying criminology with criminal justice.

I would start by explaining what both Sutherland and Matza suggested. Remember to critique their theories. Then use these critiques to explain how British sociologists expanded this knowledge. Ie. the rise of radical criminology in Britain and crime control. Explain a new field was created in criminology in the National Deviancy Symposium from critiquing the American new deviancy theories.

I hope this helps! and ask if you have any further questions!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I would start by explaining what both Sutherland and Matza suggested. Remember to critique their theories. Then use these critiques to explain how British sociologists expanded this knowledge. Ie. the rise of radical criminology in Britain and crime control. Explain a new field was created in criminology in the National Deviancy Symposium from critiquing the American new deviancy theories.

Thank you so much for your response! It is a big help x
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

(Original post by Yas_Hearn)

Thank you so much for your response! It is a big help x

Hi, do you think I will be able to complete this in 500 words as that is the word count?
(Original post by Yas_Hearn)

Hi, do you think I will be able to complete this in 500 words as that is the word count?

Hi @Yas_Hearn

500 is small in comparison to most essay questions, however, it is still enough to make some good points. Your lecturer obviously just wants something short and simple.
I would keep it brief when you explain, so only about 2 sentences when you are trying to talk about their theory. Remember PEEL
P - Point
E- Evidence
E - Explain
L - link back to the question

As long as you stick to this, you should be including everything that is required for the assignment.
I assume you're only in your first year, so I wouldn't worry about this essay as with most unis your first year doesn't account for your final grade when you leave uni.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending