The Student Room Group

Detective career - should I study psychology or law?

I really hope I'm posting it in the right area :smile:

Although, overall, I've been planning to be a lawyer (probably a prosecutor), I'm also considering the detective career - which degree would be more beneficial for that? I have more experience with law, but I did enjoy studying psychology for the A-Levels and I find it interesting, sometimes it seems more enjoyable to me, but I also fear it's less "stable" and many people say it's pointless to do psychology at uni. On another hand, I know I can do a law conversion course in the future. If I chose to be a detective, I was also thinking about masters in forensic psychology, which (as far as I know) I would not be able to do after a law degree. Any advice? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Forensic psychology and detective are very different... I think you need to think about/decide/explain what you mean more clearly

A forensic psych course is to prepare you to do the Step 2 training to be a forensic psychologist. As you said, you would need a psych degree or postgrad conversion course for that.

When you say detective, do you mean in the police or as a private detective? If the police, this suggests it can be any degree (or you can do an apprenticeship before that): https://www.joiningthepolice.co.uk/ways-in-to-policing/degree-holder-programme I doubt there is a set/normal route to become a private detective
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Forensic psychology and detective are very different... I think you need to think about/decide/explain what you mean more clearly

I am aware, my intention to study forensic psychology comes only from my interest in that field, and it’s if I decided to study psychology instead of law :smile: I just want to learn it for myself.

In the police. I know there’s no specific degree they require per se, but I’m wondering which one would be more beneficial in carrying out the job.

Thank u for replying!
Original post by bethanny_g
I am aware, my intention to study forensic psychology comes only from my interest in that field, and it’s if I decided to study psychology instead of law :smile: I just want to learn it for myself.

In the police. I know there’s no specific degree they require per se, but I’m wondering which one would be more beneficial in carrying out the job.

Thank u for replying!

The police will give you the training you require, otherwise they would specify a degree/selection of degrees. Do what you are most interested in instead :smile:
Hi there,

You may be interested in looking into a degree in Criminology as this could be a very good stepping stone for you if you were to go down the detective route. You get a very broad understanding of crime and the system as a whole, as well as looking at specific topics. For example, I recently completed a module on contemporary debates in criminology, focusing on the age of criminal responsibility and whether it is a morally accepted age (I am doing a degree in Criminology and Psychology). It may be worth doing some research into this area see if it is something worth pursuing!
Another piece of advice I would give would be to potentially look into a joint degree if you are interested in both Law and Psychology as many universities do provide this!

Toni,
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest