L.Ella
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently halfway through my second year as a pharmacy student, and I've begun to realise that I really don't enjoy pharmacy. I enjoy the science aspect of it, but that's it. I have a part-time job as a pharmacy assistant, and I literally cannot see myself working as a pharmacist in the future, I hate dealing with customers, it just doesn't come naturally to me, and frankly, the job is just quite boring and repetitive.so, I was thinking, obviously, it would be pretty dumb to drop out now, so I'm just going to finish my degree and maybe go into teaching or something because I've worked as a teaching assistant before and I really enjoyed it.The thing I'm not sure about is whether I would need to do my pre-reg to finish the MPharm or is that not necessary? Could I just finish the remaining two years that I have left and not do the pre-reg, would that give me my masters?
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L.Ella)
I'm currently halfway through my second year as a pharmacy student, and I've begun to realise that I really don't enjoy pharmacy. I enjoy the science aspect of it, but that's it. I have a part-time job as a pharmacy assistant, and I literally cannot see myself working as a pharmacist in the future, I hate dealing with customers, it just doesn't come naturally to me, and frankly, the job is just quite boring and repetitive.so, I was thinking, obviously, it would be pretty dumb to drop out now, so I'm just going to finish my degree and maybe go into teaching or something because I've worked as a teaching assistant before and I really enjoyed it.The thing I'm not sure about is whether I would need to do my pre-reg to finish the MPharm or is that not necessary? Could I just finish the remaining two years that I have left and not do the pre-reg, would that give me my masters?
I would register if possible. This is to avoid any future issues, if you intend to return to the industry.

If you enjoy the science-y bit, then why don't you pursue a postgraduate programme and join a pharma company? It may be a good approach. Good luck
Sarah H.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi L.Ella,

I had a pharmacy student who worked for me for a few weeks about 5 years ago. He had decided not to proceed with preregistration and a career in pharmacy after work experiences previously in community.

He left uni 4 years ago at the end of year 3 with a BSc.

He fast tracked a teaching degree and is now teaching chemistry at secondary level.

You need to check with your uni as to if you can leave with BSc after successful completion of year 3.

The extra year 4 for Master would probably confer little advantage in this situation but would cost you both time and money. The preregistration year is only required for registration as a pharmacist with the GPhC.

Hope things work out for you.
L.Ella
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarah H.)
Hi L.Ella,

I had a pharmacy student who worked for me for a few weeks about 5 years ago. He had decided not to proceed with preregistration and a career in pharmacy after work experiences previously in community.

He left uni 4 years ago at the end of year 3 with a BSc.

He fast tracked a teaching degree and is now teaching chemistry at secondary level.

You need to check with your uni as to if you can leave with BSc after successful completion of year 3.

The extra year 4 for Master would probably confer little advantage in this situation but would cost you both time and money. The preregistration year is only required for registration as a pharmacist with the GPhC.

Hope things work out for you.
Hi Sarah

wow, thank you so much for your advice, that was really helpful! I didn't know that it was possible to leave third year with a BSc, that would be great. Hopefully, that's something that my uni will allow, as like you said, it would save time and money.

Thanks again!
L.Ella
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I would register if possible. This is to avoid any future issues, if you intend to return to the industry.

If you enjoy the science-y bit, then why don't you pursue a postgraduate programme and join a pharma company? It may be a good approach. Good luck
Thank you for your reply! However, I think I just don't really enjoy the whole pharmacy industry and would prefer something different, but thanks for the advice
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey L.Ella!

I'm currently a third year student, I would say 3rd year for me has been the most interesting so far.
I'm actually learning about different conditions and I'm more engaged with the content than I was in second year. We're also learning about the role of the hospital pharmacist - which is a lot different than a community pharmacist!

I would keep an open mind as you enter third year about whether you want to leave with a BSc or whether you want to spend an extra year learning and then do your pre-reg. You might find the course gets more interesting in third year, and you may find yourself liking the job prospects

You could also do the pre-reg just to get experience of what being a pharmacist is truly like and then decide if you want to continue - or go on to teaching like you say! Also having a masters would benefit you for a range of different jobs - as it is an extra year of study than a BSc.

I hope this helps you out!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
ChillBear
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you thought about a career in a different sector of pharmacy like hospital, industry or gp surgery? It may be worth getting some shadowing experience to see if you'd like that.

Alternately, there were people on my course who ended up doing completely different things after getting their master's. One works for Scottish water now, another works for PPD - pharmaceutical product development.
missEA
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, if possible, finish the MPharm degree and get that integrated Masters, a complete MPharm degree even without pre-reg will get you into different areas even when competing with a range of BSc degrees, albeit with a little bit of persistence i.e. medical writing, regulatory affairs, patent attorney. You do not need the pre-reg year unless you are certain that you want to become a licensed pharmacist.. this is coming from someone who just recently completed the MPharm degree, did pre-reg year briefly and left because I did not want to become a licensed pharmacist!
Last edited by missEA; 1 month ago
TheChosenWon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello L.Ella,

I specifically made this TSR account JUST to reply to this thread. I am a post Mpharm graduate. Like yourself, from 2nd year onwards during my studies at university I realized that a career in Pharmacy was not for me, despite the fact that I enjoyed the degree itself. I had a job as a dispenser/healthcare assistant all throughout my time at university and I just could not see myself being a Pharmacist in the future. I found the job extremely mind-numbing, underpaid and unrewarding in every sense of the word. The only aspect I enjoyed was the odd customer/patient that treated you nicely. I contemplated leaving university and trying my luck in the city (London) for random roles, but instead I done some research, found other corporate careers that may suit me and checked the entry requirements for these roles. Just by having an Mpharm degree, you’re already at a massive advantage Vs other standard graduates no matter what discipline they’re from – especially if you make the employer aware of how tough the Mpharm course actually is (as a lot of people outside the healthcare industry have no clue what Mpharm students go through).

To get the Mpharm degree under your name, you just need to finish and complete the 4 years at university. Doing your 1-year pre-registration after that is purely to register as a Pharmacist recognized by the GPhC, in UK. From experience I would highly recommend you completing your Mpharm degree (2 more years), as that master’s degree on your CV will shine very bright amongst all the standard BSc students graduating at the same time as you. When employers see an application from an individual with master’s degree in an extremely tough discipline, they will prioritize that application over others!

I got my Mpharm degree in 2016, I didn’t want to sit pre-reg as I had no interest in being a pharmacist years before that. Regrettably, I got convinced into sitting pre-reg. I found the whole experience extremely depressing and after a year I finally left it. I spruced up my CV, applied for hundreds of roles from different professions that suited me that I had previously researched (which all pay much better than pharmacy and actually have real career progression) and got myself into a graduate scheme. Note: you don’t need a ‘graduate scheme’ as lot of companies will give you a junior role anyway.I now have a little over 3 years’ experience in an industry I love completely outside of Pharmacy, which has great career progression, and which is already paying me very well (I say this humbly). Despite the pandemic, I am still receiving pay rises!

As ironic as it sounds, the Mpharm degree played a crucial role in me acquiring a great career outside of Pharmacy and will still probably help me in future job applications. Employers love seeing the highest possible education on a CV, especially when you combine that with some good experience after a few years. So, please finish your Mpharm degree! Whether you want to be a teacher now or go into something corporate later on in life, it will only help you! The benefit of the Mpharm degree giving you flexibility for life greatly outweighs the downside of paying 1 more year tuition fees (which is what you would do if you don’t want the 3 year BSc from Pharmacy by leaving at the end of 3rd year).

Sorry for the essay, I thought some words of encouragement might help you get through your next 2 years until you get your Mpharm degree.

I wish you all the best! 😊
TheChosenWon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by missEA)
Hi, if possible, finish the MPharm degree and get that integrated Masters, a complete MPharm degree even without pre-reg will get you into different areas even when competing with a range of BSc degrees, albeit with a little bit of persistence i.e. medical writing, regulatory affairs, patent attorney. You do not need the pre-reg year unless you are certain that you want to become a licensed pharmacist.. this is coming from someone who just recently completed the MPharm degree, did pre-reg year briefly and left because I did not want to become a licensed pharmacist!
Ditto! I'm glad someone else made it out!
L.Ella
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheChosenWon)
Hello L.Ella,

I specifically made this TSR account JUST to reply to this thread. I am a post Mpharm graduate. Like yourself, from 2nd year onwards during my studies at university I realized that a career in Pharmacy was not for me, despite the fact that I enjoyed the degree itself. I had a job as a dispenser/healthcare assistant all throughout my time at university and I just could not see myself being a Pharmacist in the future. I found the job extremely mind-numbing, underpaid and unrewarding in every sense of the word. The only aspect I enjoyed was the odd customer/patient that treated you nicely. I contemplated leaving university and trying my luck in the city (London) for random roles, but instead I done some research, found other corporate careers that may suit me and checked the entry requirements for these roles. Just by having an Mpharm degree, you’re already at a massive advantage Vs other standard graduates no matter what discipline they’re from – especially if you make the employer aware of how tough the Mpharm course actually is (as a lot of people outside the healthcare industry have no clue what Mpharm students go through).

To get the Mpharm degree under your name, you just need to finish and complete the 4 years at university. Doing your 1-year pre-registration after that is purely to register as a Pharmacist recognized by the GPhC, in UK. From experience I would highly recommend you completing your Mpharm degree (2 more years), as that master’s degree on your CV will shine very bright amongst all the standard BSc students graduating at the same time as you. When employers see an application from an individual with master’s degree in an extremely tough discipline, they will prioritize that application over others!

I got my Mpharm degree in 2016, I didn’t want to sit pre-reg as I had no interest in being a pharmacist years before that. Regrettably, I got convinced into sitting pre-reg. I found the whole experience extremely depressing and after a year I finally left it. I spruced up my CV, applied for hundreds of roles from different professions that suited me that I had previously researched (which all pay much better than pharmacy and actually have real career progression) and got myself into a graduate scheme. Note: you don’t need a ‘graduate scheme’ as lot of companies will give you a junior role anyway.I now have a little over 3 years’ experience in an industry I love completely outside of Pharmacy, which has great career progression, and which is already paying me very well (I say this humbly). Despite the pandemic, I am still receiving pay rises!

As ironic as it sounds, the Mpharm degree played a crucial role in me acquiring a great career outside of Pharmacy and will still probably help me in future job applications. Employers love seeing the highest possible education on a CV, especially when you combine that with some good experience after a few years. So, please finish your Mpharm degree! Whether you want to be a teacher now or go into something corporate later on in life, it will only help you! The benefit of the Mpharm degree giving you flexibility for life greatly outweighs the downside of paying 1 more year tuition fees (which is what you would do if you don’t want the 3 year BSc from Pharmacy by leaving at the end of 3rd year).

Sorry for the essay, I thought some words of encouragement might help you get through your next 2 years until you get your Mpharm degree.

I wish you all the best! 😊
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! All of what you said makes a lot of sense; it seems like a bit of a waste to leave a year early with a BSc when I could just pull through another year to get a master's. I guess for now I could just start researching other areas that I might be interested in.

It's just a bit frustrating because before going to uni, I had this picture in my head of me getting through uni and then being settled in my comfortable job as a Pharmacist and that was my career sorted😂. I guess it's mostly my fault, as I didn't take the time to get some work experience in pharmacy before going to uni, I just based my decision on the experiences that other people had. However, I'm not too worried, as like you said, the Mpharm degree will offer me some flexibility and will be applicable to many other careers.

Thanks again for the advice.
TheChosenWon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! All of what you said makes a lot of sense; it seems like a bit of a waste to leave a year early with a BSc when I could just pull through another year to get a master's. I guess for now I could just start researching other areas that I might be interested in.

It's just a bit frustrating because before going to uni, I had this picture in my head of me getting through uni and then being settled in my comfortable job as a Pharmacist and that was my career sorted😂. I guess it's mostly my fault, as I didn't take the time to get some work experience in pharmacy before going to uni, I just based my decision on the experiences that other people had. However, I'm not too worried, as like you said, the Mpharm degree will offer me some flexibility and will be applicable to many other careers.

Thanks again for the advice.
No problem at all, glad I have given you some clarity! Don't worry haha, I felt the same way in Uni too, but the world is your oyster anyway once you have that master's degree anyway. It's definitely worth grinding through the final year to get it.

Good luck!
Claremont4ever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would diverge from the views of all the other responses and strongly advice you to finish your degree and complete your prereg. When you qualify as a pharmacist, the world is your oyster. You can choose what area of pharmacy you want to practice in, you don't have to be in the community. I also don't like dealing with customers, which is why as a manager I have hired excellent support staff who deal with customers on my behalf. Pharmacy is one of the few professions where you can become a manager in less than 2 years post qualification, earn above £70,000 per year, and more importantly, you have a recognized world class title that is respected worldwide.

Finish your training, qualify and practice. If you don't like it after you have qualififed, you can choose to pursue what you like whilst working as a locum pharmacist and earning good money on the side. Good luck.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Claremont4ever)
I would diverge from the views of all the other responses and strongly advice you to finish your degree and complete your prereg. When you qualify as a pharmacist, the world is your oyster. You can choose what area of pharmacy you want to practice in, you don't have to be in the community. I also don't like dealing with customers, which is why as a manager I have hired excellent support staff who deal with customers on my behalf. Pharmacy is one of the few professions where you can become a manager in less than 2 years post qualification, earn above £70,000 per year, and more importantly, you have a recognized world class title that is respected worldwide.

Finish your training, qualify and practice. If you don't like it after you have qualififed, you can choose to pursue what you like whilst working as a locum pharmacist and earning good money on the side. Good luck.
Stop writing this nonsense. They aren't going to earn 70k, unless they have a 36 hr contract over 3 days of 12 hour shifts in say Tesc0!, then locum on the days off, when most normal people would want to rest, and have a life.
And I don't know where you get the second bit from, most customers don't know we have a degree! or think it is in pharmacology. I had a drug rep years ago ask me what degree I did !!

One thing I would add is although it is MPharm, it is still an undergrad degree. It is not a post-grad Masters, e.g. MSc. Be careful about trying to fool prospective employers that your degree is better than a BSc. They are still both undergrad degrees.

This is taken from B'ham School of Pharmacy FAQs.
What is an MPharm?
It is a Masters level undergraduate degree programme that all aspiring pharmacists must
complete.

And:
While the majority of graduates go on to
become practicing pharmacists, it should be remembered that the MPharm is a broad‐based
science degree that can be used to enter a variety of different careers that require critical
thinking and communications.

I know one guy, like yourself, who couldn't see himself in a shop, or dealing with patients, he hated all his placements. But he did enjoy computing and IT, so decided not to do his pre-reg and got a job as a trainee, learning how to code, etc with an IT company. But if you would rather be a teacher, don't do the pre-reg, and do a PGCE instead and become a science teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.03%
No (237)
48.97%

Watched Threads