UAL CSM/LCC/Camberwell/Chelsea Graphic Design

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to apply to one of the UAL colleges for Graphic Design but after doing so much research already but not being able to visit the colleges, I am finding it difficult to make the right decision.

Currently, from what I have gathered.
CSM is very experimental and does more illustration based work
LCC focuses more on typography and is the least artsy
Camberwell is very artsy

Also I have heard that Elephant and Castle (LCC) is situated in a "bad/unsafe area" and I am wondering whether this is really the case and should I let it affect my decision to study there.

It would help if someone could give me some more insight into the overall vibe of each college and how each course differs. Thank you in advance.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
This is such a great question. I wish someone who knows would answer this!
insidedesigner
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
CSM can be very experimental (to the extent where visitors to their end of year show struggle to find the 'graphic design') but they're pushing the boundaries of the subject in a good way. It's structured means that you can do 'normal' design projects too, so designing a visual identity for example.

Yes, traditionally LCC is more focused on print and typography. Elephant and Castle has a bad reputation but it's always busy and just as safe as anywhere in London. I wouldn't let that influence your choice at all.

Yes, Camberwell is the artier option. Lots of self-directed briefs and experimentation.

Chelsea is much smaller in terms of class size than CSM and LCC. A broad approach to the subject but high quality work.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by insidedesigner)
CSM can be very experimental (to the extent where visitors to their end of year show struggle to find the 'graphic design') but they're pushing the boundaries of the subject in a good way. It's structured means that you can do 'normal' design projects too, so designing a visual identity for example.

Yes, traditionally LCC is more focused on print and typography. Elephant and ThaCastle has a bad reputation but it's always busy and just as safe as anywhere in London. I wouldn't let that influence your choice at all.

Yes, Camberwell is the artier option. Lots of self-directed briefs and experimentation.

Chelsea is much smaller in terms of class size than CSM and LCC. A broad approach to the subject but high quality work.
Thank you so much for this super helpful reply! I got a much clearer view on how each campus differs all thanks to you. If you don't mind me asking, why does elephant and the castle has a bad reputation? Also are you currently studying graphic design at UAL?
insidedesigner
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It used to have underpasses under the roads which were dark and a bit scary. Now the whole area is being redeveloped, the underpasses have gone and it's a much 'nicer' place to look at (although lots of the character has gone too). I always felt safe in Elephant and Castle anyway, but i can see why it used to be a bit intimidating if you're not used to big cities.

I studied at UAL, now i'm a part time lecturer (but not at UAL).
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
It used to have underpasses under the roads which were dark and a bit scary. Now the whole area is being redeveloped, the underpasses have gone and it's a much 'nicer' place to look at (although lots of the character has gone too). I always felt safe in Elephant and Castle anyway, but i can see why it used to be a bit intimidating if you're not used to big cities.

I studied at UAL, now i'm a part time lecturer (but not at UAL).
Thank you so much for all your helpful replies! I am so sorry to keep bombing you with questions but which one would you recommend if I had to choose between LCC and Camberwell? I was under the impression that Camberwell is perhaps a less preferred option than LCC to study graphic design but I really like the idea of Camberwell exploring more artier designs with experimentations like you mentioned above.
insidedesigner
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I couldn't recommend one because it depends on your personal preferences.

Camberwell is more selective than LCC and tends to attract bright students who explore social, political and philosophical subjects through the medium of design. The atmosphere at Camberwell is great, a proper art school with loads of amazing students doing weird and wonderful things.

LCC is very different. It still produces outstanding graduates every year but it's an enormous building, with huge yeargroups which require some classes to start early/finish late so that everyone can be seen in one day. It has brilliant facilities but with the increase in numbers, access can be a problem. It seems as if it's moving away from its print/poster heritage towards a more digital direction now.

These are only my observations though. The best thing would be to look at the work the students create and consider which you'd prefer to be doing. Don't write off Chelsea either! Not part of UAL, but Kingston is well worth considering too.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I couldn't recommend one because it depends on your personal preferences.

Camberwell is more selective than LCC and tends to attract bright students who explore social, political and philosophical subjects through the medium of design. The atmosphere at Camberwell is great, a proper art school with loads of amazing students doing weird and wonderful things.

LCC is very different. It still produces outstanding graduates every year but it's an enormous building, with huge yeargroups which require some classes to start early/finish late so that everyone can be seen in one day. It has brilliant facilities but with the increase in numbers, access can be a problem. It seems as if it's moving away from its print/poster heritage towards a more digital direction now.

These are only my observations though. The best thing would be to look at the work the students create and consider which you'd prefer to be doing. Don't write off Chelsea either! Not part of UAL, but Kingston is well worth considering too.
Thank you so much for your time in outlining these! Honestly now both schools sound really great! I applied for kingston too and will definitely consider them too
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much for your time in outlining these! Honestly now both schools sound really great! I applied for kingston too and will definitely consider them too
heyy if you dont mind, may i ask which uni did u choose to go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
28.74%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
35.63%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.2%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.45%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.75%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
13.79%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.15%

Watched Threads