The Student Room Group

Really sad about GCSE grades

(7 in maths and 6 in english lang) how much do these limit me? :frown:(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
(7 in maths and 6 in english lang) how much do these limit me? :frown:

They probably won't limit you as much as you expect them to.
A-Level results are far more important.
Do you know what you want to study yet?
(7 in maths and 6 in english lang) how much do these limit me? :frown:(

Unless ur going for smth competitive (oxbridge or medicine) unis don’t really care as long as u have at least a 6 in maths and eng lang...
Which u do! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by glassalice
They probably won't limit you as much as you expect them to.
A-Level results are far more important.
Do you know what you want to study yet?

This was actually the year that we got predicted grades and I didn't really revise at ALL in my mocks.. :/ Therefore I retook maths which I initially had a 5 in and now got a 7 from only revising 10 days before my actual exams lol (8 marks off a grade 8). I might retake other subjects if I have to. I am taking Psychology, Philosophy and CTEC IT.
This was actually the year that we got predicted grades and I didn't really revise at ALL in my mocks.. :/ Therefore I retook maths which I initially had a 5 in and now got a 7 from only revising 10 days before my actual exams lol (8 marks off a grade 8). I might retake other subjects if I have to. I am taking Psychology, Philosophy and CTEC IT.

What do u want to do after a levels tho? U don’t have to knwo ofc but do u??
Reply 5
Unless ur going for smth competitive (oxbridge or medicine) unis don’t really care as long as u have at least a 6 in maths and eng lang...
Which u do! :smile:

Yeah I'm only worried due to seeing the grades of other people, I highly regret not revising for my mocks because I never thought it would come to this determining my ACTUAL GCSE's but we gotta learn from our mistakes and move on.. Thanks :wink:
Reply 6
What do u want to do after a levels tho? U don’t have to knwo ofc but do u??

An apprenticeship in accounting, I do meet the requirements but I just want to know will this affect my chances in any way e.g. other students with better grades.
An apprenticeship in accounting, I do meet the requirements but I just want to know will this affect my chances in any way e.g. other students with better grades.

If they don’t state anything abt ur gcses then it really shouldn’t :smile:
imagine the people that cheated for gcse mocks and never got caught- for my mocks in gcse i got tested on a paper that came up the next day- guess which paper- the paper that was at the front of the page and boom never told anyone technically not cheating since i revised for mocks

I doubt it would be necessary to retake any GCSEs. Predicted grades took away pupils ability to influence the grades that they achieved, so I can only imagine how stressful it was.
predicted grades for gcses were a joke last year- my friend didn't attend to a single further math gcse lesson and he got a 9 in it like wow people went from 2's to 5's
Original post by glassalice
I doubt it would be necessary to retake any GCSEs. Predicted grades took away pupils ability to influence the grades that they achieved, so I can only imagine how stressful it was.

What do you want to study at uni?

I want to do an accounting apprenticeship or study economics at uni
Original post by HelloZello
predicted grades for gcses were a joke last year- my friend didn't attend to a single further math gcse lesson and he got a 9 in it like wow people went from 2's to 5's

bro that's so unfair.. Ik I didn't try but soo many people didn't try and still got good grades. My history and Maths teacher promised me grade 8-9s and both gave me 5's..
I want to do an accounting apprenticeship or study economics at uni

econ in uni is mathematical- you have a 7 in maths thats good- you can take a level math for a level-(you have to study a level math for econ for uni),it's a requirement, maybe ask your head of year for sixth form if they might just place you in a course that you want? if that isn't the case then you might have to retake certain gcses to do a level in those subjects
econ in uni is mathematical- you have a 7 in maths thats good- you can take a level math for a level-(you have to study a level math for econ for uni),it's a requirement, maybe ask your head of year for sixth form if they might just place you in a course that you want? if that isn't the case then you might have to retake certain gcses to do a level in those subjects

I would have to restart the whole yr and thats long.. :/
bro that's so unfair.. Ik I didn't try but soo many people didn't try and still got good grades. My history and Maths teacher promised me grade 8-9s and both gave me 5's..

wait what- what grade did you get for your mocks- you should of appealed if that wasn't unfair
I would have to restart the whole yr and thats long.. :/

but its worth it to achieve what you're most interested in life and what you want to study, wait so are you in y12 currently and what subjects are you doing
wait what- what grade did you get for your mocks- you should of appealed if that wasn't unfair

ngl my final mocks i didnt revise for it cus i thought i can get good grades without revising but i was wrong however every other mock and class work i got like 6-8s.
but its worth it to achieve what you're most interested in life and what you want to study, wait so are you in y12 currently and what subjects are you doing

psychology, philosophy and ctec it i retook maths and went from grade 5 to 7
appeal for your grades- especially since you got 6's- 8's wow you retook maths and went from a 5-7 thats pretty good especally since you earned it yeah if you did get 6s-8's you should of gotten predicted higher grades then you got in your mocks- appeal for your grades and if it doesn't work out then you might have to resit gcses again
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest