Is a chromebook good for uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what laptop to get for university. I want it to last my whole course, and not be too expensive, so I was thinking of a chromebook, but someone told me they are not good for university, although they did not give any reasons, so I dont know why. I want to do medicine, so I think it will have to have a good amount of storage. Basically asking whether chromebooks will be good /other laptop recommendation. Thank you
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what laptop to get for university. I want it to last my whole course, and not be too expensive, so I was thinking of a chromebook, but someone told me they are not good for university, although they did not give any reasons, so I dont know why. I want to do medicine, so I think it will have to have a good amount of storage. Basically asking whether chromebooks will be good /other laptop recommendation. Thank you
Hello, personally I am not an expert, but as a student, I have found this website particularly useful when choosing a laptop: Student Laptops 2021. The ACER CHROMEBOOK 315 has overall been described as the best budget student laptop. The reasons to buy include: quality screen, long-lasting battery and attractive price (about 300 pounds). Many other options are also listed, including mid-range, and the most expensive laptops.

I would also recommend watching this YouTube clip (Student Laptops 2020), since it provides you with a detailed advice as to which laptop would be best for you, considering both the price, and what you will actually use the laptop for.

I hope this helps

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps)
Hello, personally I am not an expert, but as a student, I have found this website particularly useful when choosing a laptop: Student Laptops 2021. The ACER CHROMEBOOK 315 has overall been described as the best budget student laptop. The reasons to buy include: quality screen, long-lasting battery and attractive price (about 300 pounds). Many other options are also listed, including mid-range, and the most expensive laptops.

I would also recommend watching this YouTube clip (Student Laptops 2020), since it provides you with a detailed advice as to which laptop would be best for you, considering both the price, and what you will actually use the laptop for.

I hope this helps

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
Thanks so much, I will definitely check them out!
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I had a chromebook in 6th form and my first 1.5 years of uni.

It was okay. It did everything I needed - my course is very essay based so I mainly just needed Google Docs. If you're on a budget, it's not a bad option.

However, it couldn't do everything I wanted. It can't play DVDs (even with an external DVD drive), which I sometimes needed as my course involves film. Sometimes I had to find an online workaround if I couldn't download recommended software. I don't know how much software medicine involves.

When my chromebook broke, I bought a Windows laptop. It's a bit pricier and chunkier, but I never have problems with incompatible software.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (163)
44.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (41)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.4%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (77)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (35)
9.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.96%

Watched Threads