Isha8080
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
“Enclosure was the biggest cause of social economic change between 1485-1509. Assess the validity of this view” (25 marks)

Could someone help me with this question, I have no idea where to start and don’t have any factors or evidence other than enclosure
mosenda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I ready to help you
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
tell me more
mosenda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
tell me more
When is the assignment due?
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am talking to you
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mosenda)
I ready to help you
You're an essay mill, encouraging people to cheat. Get lost.
mosenda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You got me wrong buddy
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You got me wrong buddy
You'll be banned soon. Bye.

PS "I ready to help you." Learn how to write English before advertising your services.
mosenda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You'll be banned soon. Bye.

PS "I ready to help you." Learn how to write English before advertising your services.
Wonderfully enough you got my message
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Wonderfully enough you got my message
Punctuation?
mosenda
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Typing errors are normal Mr/Mrs perfect
anabundanceofas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I'm assuming you're studying the Tudors but I apologise if not. The evidence that I've added here is not 100% exact and you would need to factcheck it yourself if you do decide to use it, but I hope it helps

1. Ask yourself: What social change was there between 1485-1509? I would firstly consider the fact that Henry's accession pretty much led to the end of the Wars of the Roses (not completely though - the Battle of Stoke in 1487 was the last battle involving Lancastrians vs. Yorkists, so some historians consider that as the end of the Wars of the Roses). The Wars of the Roses had started because of noble rivalry over the throne. The end of the Wars of the Roses meant that there was a stabilisation of the feudal society; the nobles wanted peace, and there weren't many ancient noble families left after these Wars, so they wouldn't dare rebel and possibly end up losing their titles. Also consider that Henry was not the traditional type of king like Edward IV and Henry VIII; he rewarded nobles as a result of loyalty rather than beforehand, which meant that nobles had to prove themselves and their loyalty, and stay out of trouble. He also set pretty strict sanctions - attainders, bonds and recognisances, etc. He passed more attainders in the last 5 years of his life than in 1489-1504, and there was pretty much always extra features added to the bonds and recognisances. These sanctions also kept the nobles in check.

2. Ask yourself: What economic change was there between 1485-1509? Firstly, consider Henry VII as a king. He was very much involved in monitoring finances and expenditures. As I mentioned in the previous section, his main sanctions were attainders, and bonds and recognisances, which were based on money. He was also fairly strict with passing these, so he did bring in a lot of money. Also think about other sources of income for Henry; feudal dues (wardship, livery, etc.) is the only one at the top of my head at the moment. Also consider the woollen cloth trade - I think the number of exports were raised by about 2/3s (source: AQA Tudors textbook) but don't quote me on that. Additionally, the customers of the English woollen cloth started preferring finished cloth over raw woollen cloth, which meant that the raw material had to go through several processes to become a finished product. These processes were usually undertaken by people in rural areas and were pretty much like a small business for some people, which meant that they had something to supplement their income.

3. Ask yourself: What factors contributed to social economic change between 1485-1509? Enclosure is one; to summarise what I've written in the other sections, I would say that (1) the end of the Wars of the Roses, (2) Henry's consolidation of power (marrying Elizabeth of York and having Prince Arthur meant that the Yorkists and Lancastrians became integrated), (3) Henry's approach to finances, (4) the nobility and their relationship with Henry, (5) what evolution of target customers of English exports overseas.

4. Couple of arguments for enclosure: I'm assuming that by enclosure, the question means "a barrier that surrounds an area". So, (1) England didn't really go to war; it had to be focused on its domestic affairs and improving domestic issues, so it's evident that there would be social and economic change. (2) When England did try to break the barriers by going to war (1489 - Defended Brittany; September 1492 - Invaded France; 1497 - Prepared to go to battle with Scotland after Warbeck tried to invade England in September 1496), it caused the Yorkshire Rebellion (April 1489) and the Cornish Rebellion (May 1497), which were both about the rise on taxes. The significance of the Cornish Rebellion was that it was such a threat that Henry did not raise taxes for the remaining 12 years of his reign. So, taxes weren't raised, people were happy and had more money to spend on themselves.
anabundanceofas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I forgot to say - check out the sections about society and economic development under Henry VII on Seneca if you don't have access to the AQA Tudors textbook; I'm pretty sure Seneca uses information from the textbook to make its courses so I'm sure it will be helpful in getting more ideas/fact checking.
Isha8080
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by anabundanceofas)
Hi, I'm assuming you're studying the Tudors but I apologise if not. The evidence that I've added here is not 100% exact and you would need to factcheck it yourself if you do decide to use it, but I hope it helps

1. Ask yourself: What social change was there between 1485-1509? I would firstly consider the fact that Henry's accession pretty much led to the end of the Wars of the Roses (not completely though - the Battle of Stoke in 1487 was the last battle involving Lancastrians vs. Yorkists, so some historians consider that as the end of the Wars of the Roses). The Wars of the Roses had started because of noble rivalry over the throne. The end of the Wars of the Roses meant that there was a stabilisation of the feudal society; the nobles wanted peace, and there weren't many ancient noble families left after these Wars, so they wouldn't dare rebel and possibly end up losing their titles. Also consider that Henry was not the traditional type of king like Edward IV and Henry VIII; he rewarded nobles as a result of loyalty rather than beforehand, which meant that nobles had to prove themselves and their loyalty, and stay out of trouble. He also set pretty strict sanctions - attainders, bonds and recognisances, etc. He passed more attainders in the last 5 years of his life than in 1489-1504, and there was pretty much always extra features added to the bonds and recognisances. These sanctions also kept the nobles in check.

2. Ask yourself: What economic change was there between 1485-1509? Firstly, consider Henry VII as a king. He was very much involved in monitoring finances and expenditures. As I mentioned in the previous section, his main sanctions were attainders, and bonds and recognisances, which were based on money. He was also fairly strict with passing these, so he did bring in a lot of money. Also think about other sources of income for Henry; feudal dues (wardship, livery, etc.) is the only one at the top of my head at the moment. Also consider the woollen cloth trade - I think the number of exports were raised by about 2/3s (source: AQA Tudors textbook) but don't quote me on that. Additionally, the customers of the English woollen cloth started preferring finished cloth over raw woollen cloth, which meant that the raw material had to go through several processes to become a finished product. These processes were usually undertaken by people in rural areas and were pretty much like a small business for some people, which meant that they had something to supplement their income.

3. Ask yourself: What factors contributed to social economic change between 1485-1509? Enclosure is one; to summarise what I've written in the other sections, I would say that (1) the end of the Wars of the Roses, (2) Henry's consolidation of power (marrying Elizabeth of York and having Prince Arthur meant that the Yorkists and Lancastrians became integrated), (3) Henry's approach to finances, (4) the nobility and their relationship with Henry, (5) what evolution of target customers of English exports overseas.

4. Couple of arguments for enclosure: I'm assuming that by enclosure, the question means "a barrier that surrounds an area". So, (1) England didn't really go to war; it had to be focused on its domestic affairs and improving domestic issues, so it's evident that there would be social and economic change. (2) When England did try to break the barriers by going to war (1489 - Defended Brittany; September 1492 - Invaded France; 1497 - Prepared to go to battle with Scotland after Warbeck tried to invade England in September 1496), it caused the Yorkshire Rebellion (April 1489) and the Cornish Rebellion (May 1497), which were both about the rise on taxes. The significance of the Cornish Rebellion was that it was such a threat that Henry did not raise taxes for the remaining 12 years of his reign. So, taxes weren't raised, people were happy and had more money to spend on themselves.
Thank you so much! This helped a lot and I have written most of it and I only need to do a conclusion
Isha8080
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by anabundanceofas)
I forgot to say - check out the sections about society and economic development under Henry VII on Seneca if you don't have access to the AQA Tudors textbook; I'm pretty sure Seneca uses information from the textbook to make its courses so I'm sure it will be helpful in getting more ideas/fact checking.
I use Seneca for biology and chemistry but haven’t really looked at it for history. Thank you for this, I’ll check it out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads