The Student Room Group

Taking an extra GCSE - Astronomy

Hi everyone

I’m currently in year 9 and planning on taking astronomy as an extra gcse. To do this I will attend extra lessons at lunch time and after school, likely from September. In the mean time I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any websites I could look at or books to read in the mean time.

Thanks for your help
Reply 1
wow this is really cool! I've always loved astronomy and the best way I've learnt all the things I know is by watching documentaries or dramas with real facts in. I always find that this is the best way for me understand it, so I'm not sure about any recommendations for books. I'm sure Amazon has lots of these books to offer!
Sorry that I don't have the answer your looking for! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone

I’m currently in year 9 and planning on taking astronomy as an extra gcse. To do this I will attend extra lessons at lunch time and after school, likely from September. In the mean time I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any websites I could look at or books to read in the mean time.

Thanks for your help

Wow that's so lucky I would have loved to do a gcse in astronomy! I love astronomy and want to do astrophysics at uni though (I'm in year 11). In terms of books, I am not really sure what is in astronomy gcse but I am currently reading 'The End of Everything' by Katie Mack which is about the end of the universe and it's really interesting. Neil Degrasse Tyson's 'Astrophysics for people in a hurry' is good as well. If you have seen Brian Cox's series the Planets I would recommend reading the book and if you haven't seen it definitely watch it! Oh yeah, check out Dr Becky on youtube as well, she is pretty cool and makes interesting, comprehensible videos. Hope this helps a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest