Does Criminal Law in a cover letter have a capital C and L?

Watch
Gilypore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi there, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but when you're doing a cover letter to an employer would you refer to the area of study as Criminal Law or criminal law? Thanks
jessiesinger
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd definitely capitalise it!
legalhelp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you’re talking about a specific module / course at a specific institution, yes. If you are talking about the criminal law in general, or the practice of criminal law, it should be lower case.
Gilypore
Rep:
?
(Original post by legalhelp)
If you’re talking about a specific module / course at a specific institution, yes. If you are talking about the criminal law in general, or the practice of criminal law, it should be lower case.
So if I said I am interested in the "criminal law" work that you offer it would be written lowercase but saying I have studied "Criminal Law" it is uppercase. My only question is would that not look inconsistent where I've written it both ways in one letter?
legalhelp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Gilypore)
So if I said I am interested in the "criminal law" work that you offer it would be written lowercase but saying I have studied "Criminal Law" it is uppercase. My only question is would that not look inconsistent where I've written it both ways in one letter?
If you said, for example, “I enjoyed studying A level law, and in particular the Criminal Law module”, then that would be correct. Or, “I am interested in the Criminal Law course at X university”. But in all other circumstances where you are talking about the practice of criminal law generally, or the study of criminal law generally (ie not a specific module or course), then you should use lower case.
Gilypore
Rep:
?
(Original post by legalhelp)
If you said, for example, “I enjoyed studying A level law, and in particular the Criminal Law module”, then that would be correct. Or, “I am interested in the Criminal Law course at X university”. But in all other circumstances where you are talking about the practice of criminal law generally, or the study of criminal law generally (ie not a specific module or course), then you should use lower case.
OK thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
15.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
11.36%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (18)
40.91%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
18.18%

Watched Threads