The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Can you clarify if you mean Polden or Polden Court, as there are 2 accommodations with "Polden" in the name?

Polden is brand new and self-catered, and Polden Court is slightly older and catered. In either case, personally I wouldn't say they're worth the money. The Eat & Drink credit for catering is £50 a week and you still cook some meals yourself, whereas I never spent more than £25-30 per week on my entire grocery shop, so catering isn't worth the money. Both Polden and Polden Court are on the far west side of campus, which is really close to the psychology building but quite far from the main areas and lecture halls on campus. If you want a good sized ensuite room, then I'd recommend Marlborough and Solsbury court. These rooms are really big with good bathrooms (basically the same as Polden Court), but are right in the centre of campus and are self-catered so you don't have to pay for any Eat & Drink credit.

I hope this helps,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student

When applying for student accommodation, can we choose which hall we want to live in? For eg: I really want to live in Malborough and Solsbury court. Do we get that option to pick?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hi there,

Can you clarify if you mean Polden or Polden Court, as there are 2 accommodations with "Polden" in the name?

Polden is brand new and self-catered, and Polden Court is slightly older and catered. In either case, personally I wouldn't say they're worth the money. The Eat & Drink credit for catering is £50 a week and you still cook some meals yourself, whereas I never spent more than £25-30 per week on my entire grocery shop, so catering isn't worth the money. Both Polden and Polden Court are on the far west side of campus, which is really close to the psychology building but quite far from the main areas and lecture halls on campus. If you want a good sized ensuite room, then I'd recommend Marlborough and Solsbury court. These rooms are really big with good bathrooms (basically the same as Polden Court), but are right in the centre of campus and are self-catered so you don't have to pay for any Eat & Drink credit.

I hope this helps,

Hi, I meant Polden, the self-catered accommodation that I believe is the most expensive option. Thanks for your suggestion, I looked at Malborough and Solsbury and the bedroom looks smaller and darker than Polden's and the ensuite seems to be the same size, still pretty compact. Location isn't a huge worry for me as I will probably use a bike to get around (is this possible)?

Also I wondered if you knew anything about bringing a car to university. I saw that you are not allowed to park on the university campus which I don't really understand - are all the spaces for campus staff then? Would you recommend leaving your car at home rather than bringing it to university?
Reply 82
Original post by julka_
hey i'm julia
course: computer science and ai (mcomp_
APs (apply from USA): physics 1+2, calculus, macroeconomics, us history, language and composition
offer: 5 in 3 ap tests
received: 3/20/2021
i took my ap exams last year, so i'm guaranteed to go because I got all 5's in the subjects listed above. see you all there !!

- also applied to imperial (rej), st. andrews (unconditional) and bath! decided on bath bc the masters degree is shorter and less expensive!! :smile:

Hey,
I'm Evan also with offer for Mcomp next year.
I went with Bath for the beautiful scenery + social campus feel and at the end great placements.
Fascinating research projects too:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/gamer-headset-could-help-people-with-speech-loss-speak-their-mind/
See you next year!
Original post by Anonymous
When applying for student accommodation, can we choose which hall we want to live in? For eg: I really want to live in Malborough and Solsbury court. Do we get that option to pick?

Hi,

In summary, you rank your room preferences and then the rooms are allocated by a randomly generated database, which tries to match rooms based on peoples' preferences. You will be contacted directly when applications open and this is expected to be in May, with applications closing on the 1st July and rooms allocated in September. It's also not first come first serve, so you can take your time in applying.

Click here for the link to the accommodation website, where it has this information in more detail and contact details for the accommodation team if you have any specific enquiries.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Isobel (A Fourth Year Sociology Student)
Hi, I meant Polden, the self-catered accommodation that I believe is the most expensive option. Thanks for your suggestion, I looked at Malborough and Solsbury and the bedroom looks smaller and darker than Polden's and the ensuite seems to be the same size, still pretty compact. Location isn't a huge worry for me as I will probably use a bike to get around (is this possible)?

Also I wondered if you knew anything about bringing a car to university. I saw that you are not allowed to park on the university campus which I don't really understand - are all the spaces for campus staff then? Would you recommend leaving your car at home rather than bringing it to university?

Hi,

Yes there is lots of secure bike storage across campus and many students use bikes to get around, I would definitely recommend bringing a bike over a car in your first year, as you are correct that you are not allowed to park on campus full time, bar a few exceptions. This is because there is not enough car spaces to facilitate both students living on campus and campus staff. Some students however do bring a car in their second and third year when they move off campus and use the pay and display car parks for when coming up to campus, but the majority rely on the bus system as getting a car space can be difficult.

(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,

Yes there is lots of secure bike storage across campus and many students use bikes to get around, I would definitely recommend bringing a bike over a car in your first year, as you are correct that you are not allowed to park on campus full time, bar a few exceptions. This is because there is not enough car spaces to facilitate both students living on campus and campus staff. Some students however do bring a car in their second and third year when they move off campus and use the pay and display car parks for when coming up to campus, but the majority rely on the bus system as getting a car space can be difficult.

Hi, do you know what living in accommodation with communal bathrooms is like? I've heard horror stories about it and isn't sure whether an en-suite is worth the money.
Hi, do you know what living in accommodation with communal bathrooms is like? I've heard horror stories about it and isn't sure whether an en-suite is worth the money.

Hi there! My name is Leah and I am a 4th year chemical engineering student at the University of Bath.

In my first year, I lived in Westwood (Mendip) which had a shared bathroom. I honestly had no issues with communal bathrooms. I know over the past fews year it has varied as to whether communal areas in student accomodation blocks are cleaned or not, but based on this information they are currently cleaned for academic year 2020-21 so there is a chance they will also be cleaned going forward, but I don't think this is guaranteed. It could be worth emailing the accomodations team if you would like to find out more: [email protected]

I never had an issue being able to use the toilet or shower when I wanted to - there was always one available as there is a reasonable number per the number of people in the flat plus everyone had different schedules. I never had an issue with them being particularly dirty either - again, as we had quite a few there was never too much build up of dirt before they were cleaned.

I personally could not afford to live in en-suite in my first year so it was not really an option for me, but I personally do not think it is en-suite is worth the money. I had a sink in my room which was nice for brushing teeth, washing my face etc. which definitely helped with not having my own bathroom. After 1st year, it is likely that you will live in private accomodation with other students where you will have to share a bathroom anyway, so it is something that you will need to get used to at some point.

I understand the hesistance of sharing a bathroom with people you have never met (I was definitely worried about it when I first moved in!) but at the end of the day is was absolutely fine :smile: Your experience in halls tends to be determined by the people you end up living with and this is not something you can control anyway. I honestly would recommend a shared bathroom.

If you have anymore questions about this or anything else please let me know :smile:

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering

Hi there,

I can see that Leah has left you a detailed answer, but I thought it may be helpful to have another perspective :smile:

I lived in ensuite halls (Marlborough/Solsbury) and even I think it's better to go for shared bathrooms! Firstly, you save around £200 a month by having communal bathrooms, so over £2000 in the year! This money is far better saved or spent elsewhere, so it's definitely worth it financially. Secondly, communal bathroom halls tend to have more people in the house/flat, so they are usually the more social halls which means it's way easier to make friends. Finally, most of my friends lived in communal bathroom halls (Norwood and Eastwood) and 100% of them said they never had an issue with the bathrooms. They were always clean and they never had to wait ages as there's more than enough.

In retrospect, I really regret going for ensuite halls. Like you, I was worried about sharing bathrooms with strangers but it's honestly not that scary! I wish now that I'd gone for communal bathroom halls as I would've saved SO much money, and it would've been easier to meet friends. The washbasin in your bedroom is also really convenient so you don't even need to leave for the bathroom to brush your teeth or anything like that.

I hope this helps,
Does anyone know if the period of room allocation offer is the same every year? Has anyone been offered a room yet in halls? 😊
Does anyone know if the period of room allocation offer is the same every year? Has anyone been offered a room yet in halls? 😊

I was wondering the same thing, I haven't been allocated a room yet and I'm not sure if I should have been? I applied before the deadline.
Original post by 9005
I was wondering the same thing, I haven't been allocated a room yet and I'm not sure if I should have been? I applied before the deadline.

I also haven’t been offered a room yet and applied as soon as they opened for applications.

Quick Reply

Latest