Any tips/resources to best survive fast track higher English?

Watch
Stephyg91
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! So I’m new! I’ve enrolled on higher English after achieving my pda in education support assistant and feeling *slightly* over my head.

I have pass papers and English language skills for higher English books. Any tips on how to survive the next.. 6 months? Any books/resources anyone found really helpful doing English full time?

We are studying the stranger case of Dr Jekyll and Hyde and poems by Carol Anne Duffy which both are having the profound effect of making me feel like I’m Jon Snow and know absolutely nothing!

Help!
Ramsayy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stephyg91)
Hey! So I’m new! I’ve enrolled on higher English after achieving my pda in education support assistant and feeling *slightly* over my head.

I have pass papers and English language skills for higher English books. Any tips on how to survive the next.. 6 months? Any books/resources anyone found really helpful doing English full time?

We are studying the stranger case of Dr Jekyll and Hyde and poems by Carol Anne Duffy which both are having the profound effect of making me feel like I’m Jon Snow and know absolutely nothing!

Help!
Hello! I'm late with this reply, but I'd really recommend getting a copy of the Leckie N5/Higher Snap Revision books for Carol Anne Duffy's poems- filled with great annotations/helpful background info on each poem + poem specific questions and are only £5!
I didn't study Jekyll and Hyde but generally there are really good free summary and analysis videos on youtube, the channel 'Course Hero' has a few on Jekyll and Hyde that might be useful.

As for general advice, make sure all your poetry/essay/close reading answers are weighted towards analysis - analysis is where you will get most of your marks in Higher English.
You might also find the PEEL paragraph structure helpful for crit essays: Point, Evidence (quote), Explanation (analysis), Link back(to the essay question). You can also get some sneaky marks in if you drop an personal opinion about the text in your closing paragraph.
For close reading make sure you know the question types - they can only ask you about so many things. The text you get is always unseen so the best revision is definitely just going through past papers for experience/practise.

Hope any of this helps out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (25)
13.51%
Virtual campus tours/open days (42)
22.7%
Live streaming events (17)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.73%
A uni comparison tool (41)
22.16%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.7%