The Student Room Group

Is the uni allowed to do this?

My friend who lives alone has a support bubble, and today the university tried to move two international students into his house with less than a day of warning. Needless to say this is horrible because it would cut him off from his support bubble, leaving him stuck with two complete strangers in the same small building for months on end, unable to see his friends, and leave him unable to get to the shop. It also puts his physical (more risk of covid) and mental health at risk. After a lot of fighting back and forth with the uni he managed to get it postponed at least. Are they allowed to do this during a lockdown to somebody in a vital support bubble?
Original post by etlebo
My friend who lives alone has a support bubble, and today the university tried to move two international students into his house with less than a day of warning. Needless to say this is horrible because it would cut him off from his support bubble, leaving him stuck with two complete strangers in the same small building for months on end, unable to see his friends, and leave him unable to get to the shop. It also puts his physical (more risk of covid) and mental health at risk. After a lot of fighting back and forth with the uni he managed to get it postponed at least. Are they allowed to do this during a lockdown to somebody in a vital support bubble?

Whoever manages the accommodation can put tenants where they want as far as im aware, you kind of sign up this sort of thing if you move into a hmo.
Original post by mnot
Whoever manages the accommodation can put tenants where they want as far as im aware, you kind of sign up this sort of thing if you move into a hmo.

Yeah I get that, but they are directly endangering him during a lockdown. I suppose they just don't care
Original post by mnot

This I suspect, there likely was never any formal or implied agreement to give you the sole use of the property.

It sucks, but as said, it's one of the problems of HMO and such, you have no real say over these things. I'm not sure why this means they can't go to the shop though?
Original post by etlebo
Yeah I get that, but they are directly endangering him during a lockdown. I suppose they just don't care

A landlord has a right to lease a room.
Would this person pay the rent on the unoccupied rooms?
Original post by StriderHort
This I suspect, there likely was never any formal or implied agreement to give you the sole use of the property.

It sucks, but as said, it's one of the problems of HMO and such, you have no real say over these things. I'm not sure why this means they can't go to the shop though?

They go using the car of someone in their support bubble.
Original post by mnot
A landlord has a right to lease a room.
Would this person pay the rent on the unoccupied rooms?

As I said I understand, but once again I find it irrelevant when it is directly threatening his health and wellbeing.
The national lockdown has changed circumstances immensely.
Original post by StriderHort

Yea of course they can still go to the shop for essential stuff as far as im aware. (As long as none of them have a positive covid test).
Original post by etlebo
As I said I understand, but once again I find it irrelevant when it is directly threatening his health and wellbeing.
The national lockdown has changed circumstances immensely.

I understand this person is unhappy they can’t meet up with their mates. But they will either have to learn to live with this or sort alternative accommodation.
Original post by mnot
I understand this person is unhappy they can’t meet up with their mates. But they will either have to learn to live with this or sort alternative accommodation.

less meeting up with mates and more danger to themselves, but thank you, your callousness and condescending tone has been incredibly helpful.
Original post by etlebo
less meeting up with mates and more danger to themselves, but thank you, your callousness and condescending tone has been incredibly helpful.

With respect im not sure what you expect.
The university accommodation team should not utilize empty rooms when they have people who need accommodation.

I get why this person doesn’t like it, its an imposition on them but they have to be realistic, it’s something you kind of agree to with multiple occupancy.
Original post by mnot
With respect im not sure what you expect.
The university accommodation team should not utilize empty rooms when they have people who need accommodation.

I get why this person doesn’t like it, its an imposition on them but they have to be realistic, it’s something you kind of agree to with multiple occupancy.

less imposition and more threat to their health, but okay
Original post by etlebo

What are you hoping to hear? That landlords can't landlord? It's a flatshare, if anything they've been lucky to have the place to themselves so far, not entitled. Surely they understood they'd likely be sharing their space when they signed the lease and moved in? We're the best part of a year into this now.

I get it, i've stayed in HMO's by myself before and you get used to have the place to yourself and it's a nasty shock when a stranger arrives with the same rights as you, but they do.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't see how having flatmates is necessarily worse for his physical health than being part of a bubble / extended household. And he can still go for walks with his friend - okay it's not the same, but it's what most people are having to put up with right now.

If they wanted a guarantee that they could live alone, they should have chosen to live in a studio or something. I'd love to live alone, but I can't afford it so I live in a house share (with people who aren't always great at following the covid rules...). Despite being clinically vulnerable, I don't tell my landlord he shouldn't have let the other tenants move in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending