p1 help please its an easy question for good mathmaticians Watch

This discussion is closed.
dreamer86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
well i have the answer to this, but i dont know how to get there myself so any help would be greatfully recieved. also there is rep, but i think i can only give out one point so not much of an incentive, just the feel good factor of helping someone out okay, il get to the question..

Prove that the condition for the equation px^2-5x+p=0 to have real roots is -5/2<p<5/2.

the < are actually ones that are equal to as well but i didnt know how to type them

thankyou good people
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dreamer86)
well i have the answer to this, but i dont know how to get there myself so any help would be greatfully recieved. also there is rep, but i think i can only give out one point so not much of an incentive, just the feel good factor of helping someone out okay, il get to the question..

Prove that the condition for the equation px^2-5x+p=0 to have real roots is -5/2<p<5/2.
For real roots b^2 - 4ac>=0, from the quadratic equation. Otherwise you take the root of a negative number to form a complex number.

That is (-5)^2 - 4(p)(p) >=0
25 - 4p^2 >= 0
Critical points at 4p^2 = 25, p^2 = 25/4, p = 5/2 or -5/2
Check each region on the number line to see if the inequality holds will show you that 5/2>p>-5/2 is the correct area.
dreamer86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thankyou very much
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed